Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning shower gift etiquette

Post removed by original author.
    Last edited by GeekCachet; December 18th, 2010, 07:20 PM.
    http://allmyhoods.wordpress.com/
    It's back, a little bit.

Frankly, I never heard of anything so ridiculous. If I'd given a duplicate gift, I'd want the recipient to exchange it for something more useful and wouldn't give a fig about whether it was my gift or someone else's which was exchanged.

I think your mum sounds very sweet to care so much about how others might feel but this is taking things way to over the top. She also might try cutting you a little slack too! You have enough to manage at the moment without having new and 'interesting' forms of etiquette thrust upon you.

Sorry if I sound blunt but you really could do without this right now. Exchange the ones you can and don't give it, or your mum's daft idea, a second thought.
    Best wishes

Beverley

Comment

Don't ask, don't tell...

Comment

IMHO send the obligatory thank you notes as you planned and then head straight to the closest Babies-R-Us to exchange what you can for the things you truly need/want.

Don't spend another minute worrying/thinking about this. There are simply too many other things for you to be thinking about right now.
        Janet in Reston
        DS 2/25/03
        Dr. Elariny
        Starting weight 320
        Current weight 157

Comment

MB,

I'm sorry but your Mom is way off the mark with this one. I remember getting baby outfits that were size 12 mos and bigger! Was I supposed to wait a year or two to send my thank you note, waiting until they fit into that outfit? That's nuts!

Send the nice, polite thank you notes for the thoughtful gifts, then go get what you need/want for your baby. I agree with Janet, don't waste another minute worrying about that, it's just silly. It's not expected that you take photos of the baby wearing that paticular outfit. Just acknowledging the gift is plenty!
          Melinda (Mindy) from Maryland
          Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
          Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

Originally posted by GeekCachet
            Thanks ladies, you made me feel better. I'm glad to know I didn't screw up some etiquette thingy.
            LOL you didn't - but your Mom did by stressing out a heaily pregnant woman. As we say in North West England, 'If it's not one thing, it's your mother' LOL
            Best wishes

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by GeekCachet
              What's killing me is that so few people did include the gift receipts or kept the tags on. I'm totally nit picking, this isn't an issue at all.
              They probably re-gifted!!
              Janet in Reston
              DS 2/25/03
              Dr. Elariny
              Starting weight 320
              Current weight 157

Comment

Beverley - I LOVE that saying. Too funny.

Ooo Janet you are probably right! MB I never thought of that - maybe they don't have the receipts?

I'm sure most places like Toys R Us (Babies R Us), most of the department stores, would still give you store credit, instead of cash for bringing a new item in. Did you honestly get something that didn't even have the tags? That could be hard to return Maybe if it's really cute, you could use it as "back up" so if baby spits up on one outfit, he can still have the adorable outfit on!
                Melinda (Mindy) from Maryland
                Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
                Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

MB,
                  Your mom was way out of line. Take a pic of all the stuff and send it to your mom and she can share it with her friends... but really they already saw everything already. I've never heard of taking a pic in the clothes and sending it on. With babies, you will go through more clothes due to spit up, blow outs from the diapers etc. I know there are times that I'll buy a larger size, knowing that everyone else is getting tiny stuff, and it's nice having a few outfits for when they grow out of the newborn or 0-3mo. Plus, all my nieces swap clothes like mad.
                  Chris
                  HW 225~SW 205~CW 139~GW 132 BMI 26.3
                  DS - Dr Rabkin - Surgery 4/17/08
                  PS in Monterrey Jan 13, 2011 with Dr Sauceda

Comment

Originally posted by Crazeru View Post
                    MB,
                    Take a pic of all the stuff and send it to your mom and she can share it with her friends
                    Chris's suggestion is fabulous. Maybe if someone hand knited a sweather or something I would take a picture of the baby in that outfit to send to the maker.
                    Janet in Reston
                    DS 2/25/03
                    Dr. Elariny
                    Starting weight 320
                    Current weight 157

Comment

The Bjorn comes in different models - different adult body types/heights do better with some than with others. Same with Ergobaby - depends on the body of the adult. What works for me might not work for my husband, and vice versa. I have used (with other people's kids) the Bjorn active carrier and I find it very comfortable. My husband not so much. So we will try other Bjorn models, an Ergobaby, and a sling, to see what works.

Comment

It should be fine to return some shower gifts most especially if you already have the item or something similar so there shouldn't be any issue to spring from it. But in some cases that a gift receipt did not come with the item, you just have to go with it.

Or if you are close and chummies to the ones who gave it, you can very well go ahead and ask them to have it exchanged. But that does not always work, mind you.

Comment

Working...
                        X