Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yummy Recipes for all!

Hula Wrap:

Spread lowfat ricotta cheese down the center of a whole wheat tortilla.
    Add crushed pineapple, and a dash of nutmeg.

Pita Chili Melt:

Stuff whole wheat pita pocket bread with drained and rinsed canned pinto beans, diced green chili and grated lowfat cheddar cheese. Microwave until cheese melts.

Greek Stuffed Pita:

Stuff a whole wheat pita pocket bread with hummus, baby spinach, reduced fat feta cheese, and rinsed and drained garbanzo beans.

Turkey Salad:

Chop leftover turkey breast (or low sodium turkey deli meat such as Boar's Head) with cranberry sauce and chopped celery. Serve on a bed of lettuce or wrap in a lettuce wrap or whole wheat tortilla.

Salmon Salad:

Combine canned salmon (rinsed and drained) with diced cucumber and chopped scallions Stir in plain nonfat yogurt and season with dill. Serve on a bed of lettuce or wrap in a lettuce wrap or whole wheat tortilla.

Goat Cheese Sandwich:

Spread light layer of soft goat cheese on toasted pumpernickel bread.
    Top with raspberry preserves and kiwi slices.

Raw Broccoli Salad Recipe

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons no calorie sweetener
    4 cups broccoli florets, finely chopped
    cup chopped red onion
    2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, salted and roasted
    3 tablespoons seedless raisins

Directions for Preparation

The recipes for bariatric patients share some things in common, reduced amount of fats, oils, sugar and salt. Broccoli salad meets all these, and is very low in calorie count. So, with such bariatric diet recipe, one has the choice of supplementing other dishes without increasing the recommended intake calorie. To prepare this healthy salad, combine together cider vinegar, mayonnaise and sweetener in a large bowl. Add broccoli, onion, sunflower seed and raisin. Toss well for even coating, and chill for1 hour. It is sufficient for serving 6 persons, while each serving yields 60 calories.

Barbecue Chicken Recipe

1 pounds skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup BBQ sauce
    1 medium onion (sliced)

Food recipes after bariatric surgery need not be boring, as we assumed them to be. One can still enjoy non-vegetarian dish with little changes in the cooking method. This simple crockpot chicken dish is sure to satiate the taste buds. Add chicken, sauce and onion in a slow cooker. Stir lightly with a wooden spatula. Adjust heat setting to low, and cook for 7 - 8 hours. Lastly, shred meat with forks, and cook for 30 minutes more. For beef lovers, replace chicken breast with lean beef and follow the same cooking method. This easy bariatric surgery diet recipe make 6 servings, and each serving yield 180 calories.

Easy Lentil Soup Recipe

1 cup lentils
    4 cups low sodium chicken broth
    1 medium red onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 large carrots, chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1 large stalk broccoli, chopped
    1 tablespoon olive oil

This bariatric recipe is for serving 4 people. To start with, heat olive oil in a pan over medium low heat, and saute onion and garlic for 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in carrot, celery, broccoli, and continue to cook for 5 - 6 minutes. Following this, add lentils and chicken broth. For vegetarians, chicken broth can be replaced with low salt vegetable stock. Bring soup to a rolling boil, and reduce heat. Simmer and cook for 40 minutes more to get a tasty lentil soup. If it becomes too thick, pour water to make the desired consistency. Garnish with fresh cilantro levaes and serve hot. One serving of this lentil soup gives about 260 - 270 calories.

On my Facebook page I have been adding yummy recipes for everyone to try so nobody gets bored, come check it out and look at all the other information we have shared.

www.Facebook.com/SurgicalWeightLossSurgery

(I DO NOT SELL ANYTHING ON THIS SITE, IT IS PLAIN EDUCATIONAL)

ENJOY EVERYONE

Sherri
    Dr. Robert Rabkin
    March 15th, 1999
    SW 332
    CW 124
    Down 208 pounds
    Plastic Surgery 2001 (ABDOMINOPLASTY TUMMY TUCK)

Why would a DSer need to use low fat or reduced fat anything ??

Also, there is no "recommended calorie intake" for DSers.

Sherri did you have a DS, and if so, are you sure you know how it works?

Comment

Thanks for the recipes, they look lovely. I adore goat cheese although the raspberries won't necessarily agree with me. The lentil soup is close to one I frequently make for my family (even the baby loves it).

I watch calories and fat intake, personally. It's a personal preference though; lower fat helps me keep bowel issues in check and being mindful of calories is a good way to keep stress nibbling under better control (I'm almost 10 years out and while I still malabsorb most fat, I get a huge appetite now sometimes and have caught myself eating off Baby's plate too often). I also watch my sugar intake as I've stopped using Splenda. Giving up artificial sweeteners has helped my complexion and gastric issues but I miss the ease of use.

Thanks again!
      http://allmyhoods.wordpress.com/
      It's back, a little bit.

Comment

They actually remind me of the recipes my surgeon's office gives out to the lap band patients and RNYers. I remember seeing similar recipes when I had to meet with the nutritionist and she told me to take them if I wanted, but obviously not make everything low fat or fat free for the DSers.
        Melinda (Mindy) from Maryland
        Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
        Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

Originally posted by DS2000 View Post

I myself try to make some lower fat recipes and calorie concious choices most of the time so the rest of the family can eat the same foods.

If it's just for me, BRING ON THE BUTTER!
          Mark in Webster NY
          Highest weight 626 BMI 80+
          Starting weight 596 BMI 78.6 August 2009
          Surgery weight 535 BMI 70.6 February 23, 2010
          Current weight 264 BMI 34.8 January 2012

found a new favorite store, LL Bean. I went in to buy a pair of fleece lined jeans (it's cold on the shores of Lake Ontario) and I first tried on a 42. Too loose. Tried a pair of 40 waist. Snug but comfortable. I've gone from a 72 to a 40. I litterally had tears in my eyes.

Comment

It surprises me how the thinking can be so different.

Many DSrs on here talk about eating lots of fat - or at the very least, not avoiding it. My Bariatric team wholeheartedly recommend NOT over indulging in fats because DSrs malabsorb fat which means that any nutrients pass through too quickly to absorb easily.
            Best wishes

Beverley

Comment

Fatty Recipes ~ Nope

Originally Posted by DS2000

Yes, after 13 years I do know my surgery and my body but why not be healthy as well. I weighed 332 pounds and lost down to 124 and have stayed there all this time. I eat what I want, yet most of my choices are high protein and low carb. I eat sweets when I want, I butter what I want but I do eat healthy. I use real milk, creamer, butter, gravy, all kinds of things but the recipes I make most are the ones everyone can eat in the house, staying healthy and I guess, who knows, maybe it's kept me healthier than I have ever been.

I guess it's as always, a personal choice, but even a DS'er can GAIN weight, it's not going to be me.

It used to be, if I had a cookie or a piece of meat, I would eat the cookie, that has changed.

Be well everyone. ~ Peace, Sherri

Comment

Originally posted by WeightNoMoreSherri View Post
                Originally Posted by DS2000
                Because, according to my bariatric team, we malabsorb fat and with it, nutrients. So the faster we malabsorb, the more nutrients we malabsorb.

I've seen many DSrs post that they eat a much fat a they want and don't worry about the fat being malabsorbed but, at a recent UK DS information day, we were told that too much malabsorbtion is a BAD thing because it can result in poor nutrition - even if we take our supplements religiously
                Best wishes

Beverley

Comment

Hi Sherri,
                  Great looking raw broccoli salad recipe and I will certainly try this as broccoli helps in maintaining healthy nervous system, blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, cancer and common cold. Broccoli is great antioxidant and helps in losing weight by regulative immune system.

Comment

Working...
                  X