Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft/Mushy/Easily Digested Protein Foods?

As I\'ve posted in a couple of threads now, I\'m amost a month post-op, still fighting nausea, and I\'m really dependant on simple, mushy foods.

I try for an egg and a slice of cheese a day, and just recently managed to keep down some cottage cheese, too. The rest of my diet consists entirely of rare spoonfuls of mashed potato and chocolate pudding.

Does anyone have any ideas for protein-rich foods that are light on the stomach? I can\'t even handle the weight of a protein shake, so I keep eating those same few things over and over again, and I know that menu\'s not nearly nutritious enough to keep me healthy.
    Cassie

April 7, 2004 - First Consult with Dr. Oakley - 311 pounds/BMI 46.5
    July 29, 2004 - Approved for Out of Country surgery by OHIP, scheduled August 26, 2004
    August 26, 2004 - Open BPD/DS with Dr. Oakley - 336.6 pounds/BMI 49.7
    January 2007 - 150.0 pounds/BMI 22.1
    Currently 175 pounds/BMI 25.8

Replying to Topic \'Soft/Mushy/Easily Digested Protein Foods?\'

Hi Luna,

Many people have had success in mixing the unflavored Unjury protein powder into their mushy foods and/or drinks. I haven\'t tried it myself but I\'ve seen so many recommendations that it must be at least decent. http://www.unjury.com/

I recommend the ready-to-drink Zero Carb Isopure bottles from GNC. They are a bit pricey but I guarantee you\'ll be able to get them down and they have 40g of protein per bottle.

Another high-protein thing I ate that you haven\'t mentioned yet is peanut butter. Slather it generously on a cracker or something else you can chew to mush, or just eat it by the spoonful out of the jar.
    Christine P.
    Open DS, March 25, 2004
    Pre-op BMI 54, weight 299 lbs, size 26
    Current BMI 27, weight 149 lbs, size 10
    Dr. Marek Lutrzykowski, Michigan
    http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobe...?N=H1063497719
    Abdominoplasty with Hernia Repair, November 28, 2005
    Dr. Paul Cederna, Michigan

Comment

hi Luna....have you tried eating seafood yet....?? in the beginning i was able to eat small amounts of salmon fillet and fresh sea scallops....there both loaded with protein..and are soft and mushy....broiled or baked is best...
      and as in the beginning and now, i still love my Isopure Zero Carb protein shakes...i mix it with chilled soymilk....i know its hard now for you, but each day you\'ll get stronger, if you get your protein in....
      what does your surgeon say about your appeatite and nausa..? Kevin
      Kevin

Surgery Feb.11/04
      Lap.BPD/DS Age:51
      Prof.Dr.R.Weiner
      Frankfurt, Germany
      Pre-op weight..340lbs.
      Apirl 11,04....282lbs.
      May 11,04......259lbs.
      June 11,04.....244lbs.
      July 11,04.....233lbs.
      August 11,04...221lbs.
      Sept.11,04.....210lbs.
      Oct.11,04......205lbs.
      Nov.11,04......198lbs.
      Dec.11,04......190lbs.
      Jan.11,05......187lbs.
      Feb.11,05......One Year Post Op....187lbs.
      May 11,05......15 months 175-180lbs.
      Aug.11,05......18 months 170-175lbs.
      Dec.11,05......22 months
      Oct.01,06......32 months
      180-190 lbs.
      Feb.11,2007....3 yrs...195lb.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I\'ll give them a try.

Kevin, Dr. Oakley seems to think that my nausea will settle with time. The nausea doesn\'t seem to be coming from my stomach, if that makes any sense - my brain is now very sensitive to smells and even *thoughts* that I just didn\'t care about before. Some part of the surgery or recovery process has made me squeamish! Now there\'s something I didn\'t expect.
        Cassie

July 29, 2004 - Approved for Out of Country surgery by OHIP, scheduled August 26, 2004

Comment

Hey Luna,

In the early stages when I had a hair trigger gag reflex I tried everything I could think of on a soda cracker. I found the soda settled my stomach, they seemed to disolve to mush in your mouth immediately, and they didn\'t have a strong smell to set me off. My recommended list of toppings is: PB or Nutella, cheese whiz, pate, cream cheese, tuna salad, egg salad, and I went through a lot of those plasic wrapped cheese slices. They seemed to sit in my stomach better than real cheese in the early days. Break a slice in 4 and they fit the cracker perfectly. A few seconds in the microwave makes them softer, but not hot or runny. At this point getting some food in is more important than counting the carbs in the crackers!

I still plan to get the unflavoured protein powder. I love soup and none of the prepared varieties have much protein - even the ones with meat. I\'d like to be able to stir in a scoop of protein to any soup and have it count as a meal/protein/liquid all in one! I make most soups with Lactose free milk so at least I get the protein from the milk.

Jenn
          pre-op, BMI 43, 5\\\'4\\" 245lbs
          April 26/04 - consultation with Dr. Richard Oakley, Bowling Green, OH
          May 12/04 - Insurance application submitted
          June 9/04 - Approved by OHIP for surgery outside Canada
          June 28/04 - open BPD/DS
          June 28/05 - 1 year post-op -126 pounds,
          Sept 26/05 - 65 weeks post-op -126 pounds
          BMI 20.4, 5\\\'4\\" 119lbs (done?)

Comment

hi Luna....i didn\'t experience what your going through,i\'m sorry your having such a hard time...you should improve daily...keep trying to get some food in, you must...your losing well and some of your health problems are already gone...
            soon these problems your having now , will be behind you...God Bless and heres to feeling better soon..Kevin
            Kevin

Surgery Feb.11/04
            Lap.BPD/DS Age:51
            Prof.Dr.R.Weiner
            Frankfurt, Germany
            Pre-op weight..340lbs.
            Apirl 11,04....282lbs.
            May 11,04......259lbs.
            June 11,04.....244lbs.
            July 11,04.....233lbs.
            August 11,04...221lbs.
            Sept.11,04.....210lbs.
            Oct.11,04......205lbs.
            Nov.11,04......198lbs.
            Dec.11,04......190lbs.
            Jan.11,05......187lbs.
            Feb.11,05......One Year Post Op....187lbs.
            May 11,05......15 months 175-180lbs.
            Aug.11,05......18 months 170-175lbs.
            Dec.11,05......22 months
            Oct.01,06......32 months
            180-190 lbs.
            Feb.11,2007....3 yrs...195lb.

Comment

Jenn, thanks for the suggestions. I\'ll definitely give them a try.

My local Thai restaurant, where my family used to spend ALL of our extra eating-out money, was sad to hear I\'d had gastric surgery and had to eat blandly. They offered to make me a special dish with chicken, peanut butter, and coconut milk that they reserve for children and people who are coming off a long illness. I\'m going to give it a try for dinner tonight.

Kevin, I am improving... slowly... though sometimes it feels like two-steps-forward, one-step-back. I\'m so glad that other post-ops post so regularly, it lets me see the light at the end of the tunnel!
              Cassie

Comment

You can take dairy products that are high in proteins such milk, yogurt, soft cheeses such as Mozzarella and cottage cheese.
                Examples of Food

Comment

Early foods

Quit eating the chocolate pudding for one, here are a few ideas boiled eggs, peas mashed up with a little butter salt whatever, pimento cheese spread, ham spread, high protein yogurts(low carb)Kroger), any hard cheese they have less lactose, soups and add chicken to it just cook it longer, any meat but put in a little food processor until it is grainy not mush and add a little spice to it. Sliced thin deli meat, peanut butter, high fiber bread by nature's own(purple label), beans mashed up

Comment

Did you guys notice that original post was from 2004? Hopefully she's doing much better now, almost 6 years later!
                    Melinda (Mindy) from Maryland
                    Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
                    Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

OOps!

You know that's why I got responses to my just out of surgery problems a year later by not looking a the date oops I tend not to look at the date either. I was thinking this was someone just having surgery. Sorry Melinda if that ruffled your feathers

Comment

lol, no no no . . didn't "ruffle my feathers" whatsoever. I was just letting you know in case you wondered why maybe that person didn't respond or whatever.
                        Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
                        Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

Still good information for those of us who are newbies. I am finding consumption of anything difficult right now, less than one week out, and all this old and new info is great.

Comment

Bonnie if you're less than one week out, goodness, I wouldn't expect you to be able to consume much! I remember at one week my main source of food was one soft boiled (4 minute egg), sometimes about a tablespoon of cottage cheese, but always sipping fluids!
                            Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
                            Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

Working...
                            X