Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Intro

Hi everyone!

My name's Christie and yes, I live in Texas. Far East Texas to be more specific. I am scheduled to have DS surgery on March 12, 2012. I have poured over everything I can find on this procedure due to most people's lack of knowledge on it. I don't understand why surgeon's would still opt for the Gastric after reading about the DS?! Perhaps the vast knowledge I can gain within this forum will shed some light on the topic.

As for me personally: I'm 34 years old, currently 409 lbs, 5'9" tall. I've been married for 16 years and have two teenage boys. We live on 30 acres that I look very forward to getting back in touch with. Professionally: I am a college graduate with a BA in Business Administrations and a Minor in Healthcare Administrations. I am currently a branch manager of a community bank in a nearby town.

Current Mood: Nervous, excited, questioning my decision overall, but confident that I'm making the right choice. LOL Not sure if you can feel both ways...questioning and confident?

Anyhow...it is nice to read your stories and to see just how far you have come. I understand this is a DS Support Forum, so my question concerns regrets. Are there any members that regret their decisions? I look forward to speaking with many of you soon.

Tootles!
    ChristieTX

Not one regret - ever!
    Janet in Reston
    DS 2/25/03
    Dr. Elariny
    Starting weight 320
    Current weight 157

Comment

Welcome, Christie!

I have one big regret - that I didn't learn about and have the DS sooner!
      Melinda (Mindy) from Maryland
      Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
      Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

Originally posted by MelindaH. View Post
        Welcome, Christie!

I have one big regret - that I didn't learn about and have the DS sooner!
        Mindy - I actually have the exact opposite reaction because years ago the DS and other surgeries weren't as well known. There weren't that many doctors doing the DS and the education was terrible. Even my education from Dr. E sucked -- they basically gave RNY instructions and because the DS community was so small 9 years ago, it really was trial and error.
        Janet in Reston
        DS 2/25/03
        Dr. Elariny
        Starting weight 320
        Current weight 157

Comment

I guess that's a good point, Janet! Dr. E's office sucked back then. I have nothing to do with them now except to call and get my script for labs, which Curtis mails to me. He was kind enough to email me the results, which was faster than me waiting for Quest to mail them to me.

I just wish I had known about it before. Even if it was just a couple of years sooner.
          Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
          Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

Another Texas Newbie here

Hi Christie and everyone!! I am from North Central Texas, 1/2 way between Ft. Worth and Waco. The doctor I found is awesome, great staff too. I have chosen Dr. Wade Barker, they told me that insurance won't generally approve the DS unless your BMI is over 50. When I had my consultation in Jan, my weight was 272, height 5'1 and a BMI of 51.3. They told me they wanted to do the DS, it was better long term.

Anyway, we don't have a surgery date yet, I am still waiting for them to get all the paperwork back, and I have my 2nd nutrition class next week as well as a one on one appointment with the nutritionist. I am told surgery will probably take place in May. I'm really excited, but kind of nervous too. I am trying to learn how to sip my drinks and eat more slowly. And I was also told to chew really good till the consistency is like baby food. I was also told to modify my diet, from bread, pasta, rice and soda and to exercise 3 days a week to get my heart rate up to 120-140. The exercise is coming along, I have limited my soda, bread and have not eaten any rice. I have only had minimal pasta. My big thing is when I feel so hungry and can't find anything to satisfy me. Tonight, I barely ate supper, but had a chocolate protein drink when I was still feeling hungry, I did make it with water instead of milk and did manage to drink all 8 oz.

I look forward to talking to more of you soon. Please feel free to email me too.

Comment

Welcome! Congrats on your upcoming surgery!
              Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
              Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

Ds reply

Hello everyone
                Its my first time on here..@ ChristieTx---- Dr Barker is my doctor also I'm getting the DS on Mon. March 19th I'm a little nervous but from reading several post I think I'll be okay!!!! Good luck

Comment

Hi, I'm Susan and I read all I can off the internet and bought 2 books from Amazon. I am new here to. I have been asking a lot of questions about pre and post op. I find the people her to be very helpful. congrats on your surgery date. I am down to eating a chocolate slimfast shake for breakfast and lunch and for dinner I have a lean cuisine dinner. I am up to 64 oz of water with a squirt of Mio. I am now trying to drink the water plain, but that is where I struggle. My surgery date is penciled in for April 20th. I hope it doesn't change because my nerves are starting to get me. I find that the more you read and know it helps. I live in UT and have a good surgeon (not sure he is great yet). When he checked my heart he pulled my shirt up really quick so I wonder if he is going to just yank my hospital gown off before I am knocked out. I hope he waits for me to be out. Keep us updated.

Comment

Personal opinion - I wouldn't use Barker. Period.

Check out Dr. Stewart in Denton instead.

Also check out the posts here:
                    http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.c...cgi?board=talk

There is an ACTIVE DS community there.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Fatal error: Uncaught Database error in vBulletin 5.0.5: [Showing truncated query, original length: 3444] [First 500 chars] Invalid SQL: /** saveDbCache */ SELECT * FROM vbcacheevent WHERE cacheid IN ('node_26_lvl3data','node_9862_lvl1data','channelperms_1','vbRoutenew_38','vbRoutenew_activateemail','vbRoutenew_37','vbRoutenew_activateuser','vbRoutenew_25','vbRoutenew_admincp','vbRoutenew_119','vbRoutenew_20','vbRoutenew_advanced_search','vbRoutenew_29','vbRoutenew_album','vbRoutenew_31','vbRoutenew_blog','vbRoutenew_32','vbRoutenew_blogadmin','vbRoutenew_15','vbRoutenew_contact-us','vbRoutenew_39','vbRoutenew_coppa [Last 500 chars] _124713_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext124717_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_124717_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext124745_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_124745_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext124754_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_124754_4_0:e38af25796de123711 in /home/duodena/public_html/forum/core/vb/database.php on line 1201