X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-surgical loss of appetite

Have any of you experienced a loss of appetite after surgery (PS surgery in my case)? I didn't have this when I had my arthroscopic knee surgery last year, so I am a bit surprised that I have very little appetite now, about 2.5 weeks after surgery. I've heard from other WLS folks who haven't had the DS but have had PS that this loss of appetite is not unusual, but I wonder if any of you have had it, what you did about it and how long it lasted.

TK

Without an appetite, you probably should be doing protein shakes or bullets to get your protein in.. Your body still has to heal and needs the protein. Force yourself to get in your protein and liquids. Hope you feel better soon.
    Chris
    HW 225~SW 205~CW 139~GW 132 BMI 26.3
    DS - Dr Rabkin - Surgery 4/17/08
    PS in Monterrey Jan 13, 2011 with Dr Sauceda

Comment

I'm doing ok with liquids, I think, Chris. Protein shakes and bullets are a ticket to planet vomit for me and that's not a plan. I'm prolly about 30 g/day short, but I'll get back there.

TK

Comment

Yup, my appetite took a vacation on another planet after my plastic surgery. I had tissue necrosis and had to have my wound revised a few weeks later, and still no appetite. It was at least seven weeks after the initial procedure before I could eat normally again--but I imagine my trouble was compounded by having the complication and additional surgery.

I got very worried about being unable to eat, so I called Dr. Peters and picked his brain about it. He said that it is very common for people to have a poor appetite after any surgery, more so in his opinion after any belly surgery. I wonder if maybe getting our guts "jostled" might have something to do with it.

Comment

Are you taking pain meds? Having arthroscopic knee surgery and major plastic surgery is totally different. I was the same way when I had my PS. But it could also be the iron issues (which I also had at the time of the PS without knowing it). Try back to basics -- some soft, light foods -- maybe scrambled eggs, cottege cheese, soups. Just a thought.
          Janet in Reston
          DS 2/25/03
          Dr. Elariny
          Starting weight 320
          Current weight 157

Comment

My 2.5 year stall (from 9 mo out to 3.3 yrs) was broken when I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery. A slow loss of 30+ lbs since then, which I can primarily attribute to less appetite overall.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your input, first off. Interesting to hear that you have all had the issue with not feeling hungry and that it hasn't had a long term impact on your health. Thank you especially Elizabeth for sharing Dr. Peters' insights.

Yes, I'm back on pain meds and I'll see the surgeon about a lower dose. If I go off them completely, I have no appetite, nor do I want to drink water, as it hurts. That's just scary to me. On the other hand, the pills are so small that when I cut them in half, I often lose the other half. Digestion is so not impeded by the medication. 'Nuf said on that front.

I'm doing just as you suggested, Janet. Soups and cottage cheese, with chopped liver every other day. And I'm now back on my vitamins since I'm more than 2 weeks out. Hopefully that will help my appetite. Ice cream: not so much. Came right back up last night, but at least it's easy compared to my infamous "tabouleh blow" many years ago.

Thanks so much to each of you - it really helps to have this input prior to talking to my PS surgeon. I don't see the "plumber" until next week and I'm feeling much more vulnerable than usual.

TK

Comment

Originally posted by Teamkitty View Post
                Soups and cottage cheese, with chopped liver every other day.
                My sister and I made our annual chopped liver over thanksgiving. I have 3 small 1-cup servings stashed in my freezer. Yum - loads of protein and fat
                Janet in Reston
                DS 2/25/03
                Dr. Elariny
                Starting weight 320
                Current weight 157

Comment

OMG...I lost my appetite after my PS,too. I had "extreme" PS with Dr Fabio in Brazil.---three surgeries in three weeks--and I lost my appetite almost completely. It also knocked me temporarily into clinical depression. My depression usually manifests as anxiety and I am unable to eat. This lasted for maybe three weeks. Couldn't eat. Couldn't sleep. Lost a ton more weight til I was only 1/10 of a BMI point above the underweight category.

Finally, I went to my doc and he prescribed something to make me sleep. Once I was able to get a night's sleep, my appetite began to return and I was soon on the mend.

I've chalked the post-PS depression up to to three things:

1) post-surgery depression in general is common. Any kind of surgery.

2) Post PS surgery depression is even more common because of body image issues--it's quite shocking to come out of your drug haze one day and look in the mirror only to see you have the body of an 18-year old. Note that I said "an" 18-year-old's body---not my body when I was 18---I NEVER looked that good! However, I was 53. And it was really weird. I remember being thankful my knees were still wrinkly because I felt it was the only thing on me that looked my age.(!) I no longer feel that way btw.

3) The last contributing factor is I had three rounds of general anesthesia and a ton of pain meds to work out of my system. I think that was maybe even the biggest contributor.

My 18-year old body doesn't look quite 18 anymore (three years out from PS)..but it still looks a heck of a lot better than it did most of my life! And I am oh-so-glad I did it!
                  Susie Q

Comment

My husband makes the best chopped liver - and he can't stand the stuff! But he is just the sweetest man and does it cos he knows I like it and it is an iron mine.

Good to hear someone talk about the post PS blues. I felt a bit down on Monday - absolutely chemical - and have been feeling better every day since then.

TK

Comment

IMHO - hands down plastic surgery is so much harder than my DS ever was. TK, I'm sure every day will get a little better and your appetite will return.
                      Janet in Reston
                      DS 2/25/03
                      Dr. Elariny
                      Starting weight 320
                      Current weight 157

Comment

Working...
                      X

Fatal error: Uncaught Database error in vBulletin 5.0.5: [Showing truncated query, original length: 2403] [First 500 chars] Invalid SQL: /** saveDbCache */ SELECT * FROM vbcacheevent WHERE cacheid IN ('node_28_lvl3data','node_8562_lvl1data','node_1_lvl1data','node_2_lvl1data','node_14_lvl1data','node_8562_lvl3data','channelperms_17','channelperms_16','channelperms_13','vB_UserPerms3416','vBUserRep_3416','vBProfileFields','vBAtchmnts_8562','vB_Announcements_28','vb_readperms','getSearchResults_a460a7503aad920cc54090ee6a9affc2','vBAtchmnts_104953','vBAtchmnts_104955','vBAtchmnts_104959','vBAtchmnts_104961','vBAtchmnts [Last 500 chars] _104966_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext104968_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_104968_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext104972_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_104972_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext104984_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_104984_4_0:e38af25796de123711 in /home/duodena/public_html/forum/core/vb/database.php on line 1201