Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth control & Stomach Workouts

Hi all!

I'm 9 weeks post-op and went back on the pill last week after having been off of it for 8 weeks post-op. When I went back on it, it made me disgustingly nauseas (sp?) and I quit it on my on. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this just a side effect of taking the pill or a side effect of the surgery or both?

Also, my doctor recommends that I blend up meat, chicken, etc in a blender with a bit of broth. I've done this and it looks so disgusting that I can't eat it (it's hard to eat things that look gross). If I choose to get my protein through my shakes instead of through pureed meat, will my stomach ever adjust to eating meat again or do I have to force myself to drink that pureed vomit in order to get my stomach "in shape" to handle meat in the future?

Finally, I have noticed that I am still burping a lot and need to very badly at times. This can be embarassing as sometimes a very loud belch will slip out. Plus, I hate the feeling of upper GI gas. Any suggestions?

Thanks all
    Last edited by JustMe; October 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM.
    Highest weight: 237 lbs.
    Pre-op weight: 227 lbs.
    Height: 5"6' (or 5"4" if you believe my surgeon)
    Surgery Date: 08-11-2008
    Surgery type: Lap DS (includes vertical sleeve plus modified gastric bypass)
    Weight as of 08-31-2008: 210 lbs.
    Weight as of 10-13-2008 (9 weeks post-op): 182 lbs.
    Weight as of 11-15-2008 (about 14 weeks post-op): 177 lbs
    Weight as of 05-22-2009 (about 9 months post-op): 125 lbs
    Weight as of 07-28-2009 (about 11.5 months post-op): 115.5 lbs.

I'm not sure about the nausea from starting the pill. Some times the binding agent can cause nausea. Did you try taking it with food? With regard to the meat. Not all docs recommend blending the meat. I only did that a few times with my magic bullet. Then I just switched to other soft protein sources like soft boiled eggs, cottage cheese, pinto beans. All go down very easily and don't look or smell like vomit. Others on this board will tell you they were eating full solids within one week post op. If you cut your meat up very small and chew it well (just because your little tummy is so small now) you'd probably do fine without blending it. Try moist meats like dark meat chicken or tunafish with lots of mayo.
    JB

Comment

Hi Just Me - can't answer your question about the pill b/c I wasn't on it. As far as protein/meat go, suggest going to protein shakes. I never did the blended meat. Stick with soft protein like Shrinker suggests but I did protein shakes for several months until I was able to get all my protein through food. Slowly start introducing different foods into your diet. If something doesn't agree with you right away, wait and try again in a week. Eventually you'll make the swtich.

You will be able to make the adjustment from protein shakes to solid foods, your tummy just needs time to heal. Remember you had major stomach surgery less than 2 months ago. Probably the hardest thing post-op is patience. You'll get your tastes back - albiet some tastes might change.
      Janet in Reston
      DS 2/25/03
      Dr. Elariny
      Starting weight 320
      Current weight 157

Comment

Just as an aside - why did you go off the pill? I was on the pill when I had my DS and nobody every told me to go off of it and I stayed on it the whole time.

Comment

Wow - our surgeons really vary. I was told NOT to be on the bc pill after the DS, since there's no way to measure if I would malabsorb any of it. I couldn't take the risk of maybe getting pregnant IF the pill went through my system to fast, or I didn't absorb all of it fully. I'm on nuvaring instead, since the ring is absorbed directly through tissue, not through the digestive tract.
          Melinda (Mindy) from Maryland
          Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
          Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

Yikes! I'm glad I didn't have to worry about an unexpected pregnancy on top of everything else. Doctors are not as careful about this stuff as they should be. My daughter was put on "the patch". It turned out that it's effectiveness was based on weight. She became pregnant unexpectedly. Later they (the manufacturer) lowered the maximum weight where it was effective at by about 40 pounds.

Anyway, some of this could be caused by extra estrogen. Estrogen is stored in body fat. As you lose weight, the estrogen is dumped into the blood stream. It can really play havoc with your mood and your other hormones.

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by DS2000 View Post
              Just as an aside - why did you go off the pill? I was on the pill when I had my DS and nobody every told me to go off of it and I stayed on it the whole time.
              My doctor had me go off the pill shortly before surgery and then told me not to go back on it until I had a menses naturally because of the chance of developing a fatal clot. Anyways, I'm on the pill for severe acne and it seems to be the only thing that has ever helped it (tried accutane, doxy- and tricyclene antibiotics, etc). I will talk to the doctor about this in about a week and update you guys on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cjwwalter View Post
                Anyway, some of this could be caused by extra estrogen. Estrogen is stored in body fat. As you lose weight, the estrogen is dumped into the blood stream. It can really play havoc with your mood and your other hormones.

Carol
                That sounds logical....but what should I do about it since I really need to be on the pill?

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                  That sounds logical....but what should I do about it since I really need to be on the pill?
                  Ask your doctor about Nuvaring. That's what I switched to for a couple of years after my DS. It's a little bracelet-looking thing that you insert and leave in for 3 weeks then replace after taking a week off. It's fabulous, you don't feel a thing, and very effective. Since you're not ingesting it, you don't have to worry about absorption.

Barring that, you may want to look into Depo shots - I know several WLS patients who have used it.
                  http://allmyhoods.wordpress.com/
                  It's back, a little bit.

Comment

JustMe, sounds like one of the ingredients in the pill is helping your acne. Question is - which ingredient? That would depend on what is causing your skin problem. You need to talk to your dermatologist. If it's just estrogen you need, then you can use estrogen transdermal patches, which are absorbed through the skin, or you can take oral estrogen. If it's just progesterone you need, you can use vaginal progesterone suppositories, or vaginal progesterone gel, or take oral progesterone, etc. This will probably take some communication between your dermatologist and whoever is advising you to go off the pill. You could also find out why you've been advised to go off the pill - which ingredient in the pill is contraindicated for you? And also - not all pills are created equal, there are some which vary in concentration of ingredients, so some pills might not even help your skin problem, and some pills might not be a problem for you vis-a-vis the DS.

Also - as you lose weight, the acne situation may change - because since your acne is affected by the pill, this means that the cause is hormonal. Your weight loss will change your hormonal balance, so everything will have to be evaluated as you lose anyway.

Here's some helpful info:

http://www.acneguide.ca/acne_med_tre...e_therapy.html

What specific pill have you been taking that has helped the acne?

Some more good info:

http://acne.about.com/od/acnetreatments/a/bcpills.htm

Do you have PCOS, as far as you know? That would be something to discuss with your ob/gyn.
                    Last edited by DS2000; November 9th, 2008, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Yes, I have PCOS and that was one reason for being on the pill. My PCP put me on another pill but I have been too chicken to try it since the other one caused so much nausea.

Comment

Please try the new pill. You do not want the PCOS to go untreated.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Fatal error: Uncaught Database error in vBulletin 5.0.5: [Showing truncated query, original length: 3818] [First 500 chars] Invalid SQL: /** saveDbCache */ SELECT * FROM vbcacheevent WHERE cacheid IN ('vB_CommonRoutes','node_28_lvl3data','node_8479_lvl1data','channelperms_1','vbRoutenew_38','vbRoutenew_activateemail','vbRoutenew_37','vbRoutenew_activateuser','vbRoutenew_25','vbRoutenew_admincp','vbRoutenew_119','vbRoutenew_20','vbRoutenew_advanced_search','vbRoutenew_29','vbRoutenew_album','vbRoutenew_31','vbRoutenew_blog','vbRoutenew_32','vbRoutenew_blogadmin','vbRoutenew_15','vbRoutenew_contact-us','vbRoutenew_39' [Last 500 chars] _104418_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext104665_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_104665_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext104730_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_104730_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext104772_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_104772_4_0:e38af25796de123711 in /home/duodena/public_html/forum/core/vb/database.php on line 1201