X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck

Has any one gotten a tummy tuck and hernia repair at the same time? What is the scar like?I figure if I have to do one (hernia) I should get my moneys worth and do the tummy tuck at the same time.
    junebug

Yupp June I had both and my scars are awful BUT that isnt normally how the scars look.. Don't know if it was my PS or a little of my PS and my malnutrition or Just all my malnutrition and poor healing that led to my awful scars so don't take me as a measure as to what it may look like!
    April 21st 2005 - Open BPD/DS with Dr. Lutrzykowski
    Weight now 120-130 varies widely
    Beginning size 26-28 and 3x's
    Now Size 2 and 3's depending on the weight sometimes a 4 lol but usually 2

Comment

I'm getting this done too, in September. Here's hoping for good healing eh? My scars from my other procedures aren't bad at all--nice and faded and flexible--so I'm hoping for the same thing with this procedure. I'll be getting a mesh repair of an incisional hernia and an "extended" abdominoplasty with the fleur-di-lis type incisions. Don't know if I'll have to have the muscles tightened much or not, as I've never had children. There might also be some liposuction involved, says the doc. I am NOT looking forward to it. UGH. Big incisions impacting every move one makes *gag*. But hopefully all will pass smoothly.

Comment

I'm with you on this one, ElizabethTN. Mine was supposed to have been last Monday and I had it rescheduled for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that my hematocrit levels weren't great. I want to give myself the very best chances of success, including time to rest and good blood values. I'll have the same PS - extended with some upper tightening - but, hopefully, no mesh. 17 November is my new date.

TK

Comment

I did a few years ago but I'm at work right now so I can't take a pic and post it but I will later.

I also had an arm lift that I'll take a pic of, I am currently working out 3 times a week with a personal trainer to tone everything up, in March (if health is ok) I am having an upper thigh lift also.
          Switched January 8, 2002
          Weight 299 lbs.
          Present Weight 145 lbs.

Comment

Here is mine and my arm surgery pics.
            Switched January 8, 2002
            Weight 299 lbs.
            Present Weight 145 lbs.

Comment

Hey Junebug!
              I had them done at the same time here too! The scars are really faded now and I honestly have never really minded them...even when they were red and raised. It's in my signature, but I'm pretty sure that was the surgery I had in Feb of 07, so it's been about a year and a half.

I had open DS and then an open (same scar line) adhesion removal so the two surgeries together through the same incision point gave me a BIG 'ol hernia. I did lose my belly button during the repair, but no one notices that until I point it out. I've had two laproscopic abdominal surgeries recently and those scars (one in the original long center scar and 3 little dot ones flanking it) are still very new and kind of purple. Right now my bf is asleep or I'd ask him to take some after pics for me...it's probably about time I did...and post em for you. I will do that tomorrow. I also had my arms and breasts done so you can see the arm scars too.

I don't wear a bikini like our fearless Peggy, but I've always been extremely modest. I do wear a mock-ini though...or a bathing suit were the traditional bikini top and bottoms are connected through a piece of fabric down the center. This helps shade the scars (important for healing and fading, I still put SPF 50 over the scars over a year later) and keeps me covered enough to keep my sense of security and modesty unchallenged.

Good luck in your research! I'll post pics later! I found some progress pisc of the tummy scar I'll post in the meantime.

The first is June of 06...after DS and adhesion removal, before the hernia started showing.
              The second is from right before my hernia repair in 07, the scar was reopened for that surgery.
              The third is from Oct of 07, it's faded even more since then.
              ~Nim (Dara for Jenn )

There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly. ~R. Buckminster Fuller

7-8-05 Consultation with Dr. Lutrzykowski Bloomfield Hills, MI
              9/6/05 Pre-op: 5'2" 290 lbs. BMI 53.1!
              9/7/05 Open BPD/DS
              3-22-06 Very open adhesion removal.
              2/2/07 Hernia repair and abdominoplasty.
              6/1/07 brachioplasty, axilla excision, and breast augmentation.
              9/14/07 mastopexy, muscle repair.
              5/15/08 Adhesion removal, lap this time!!
              6/25/08 Small bowel resection/revision of connections. Lap again! Thanks Dr. Enochs!
              12/12/08 thigh skin excision
              2/4/09 adhesion removal...again
              6/19/09 adhesion removal...again

2/24/09 5'2" 119lbs. BMI 21.8!! HOLY POOP I'M NORMAL!!!

Comment

I wear a bikini though I do wear a sarong with it because I won't get my thighs lifted for a few more months yet. I also wear strong spf on them when outside and I also use scar therapy and am amazed at how good that stuff works, even on the older, tougher scars it breaks them down and softens them, makes them very light.
                Switched January 8, 2002
                Weight 299 lbs.
                Present Weight 145 lbs.

Comment

How do you know if you have a hernia?
                  Highest weight: 237 lbs.
                  Pre-op weight: 227 lbs.
                  Height: 5"6' (or 5"4" if you believe my surgeon)
                  Surgery Date: 08-11-2008
                  Surgery type: Lap DS (includes vertical sleeve plus modified gastric bypass)
                  Weight as of 08-31-2008: 210 lbs.
                  Weight as of 10-13-2008 (9 weeks post-op): 182 lbs.
                  Weight as of 11-15-2008 (about 14 weeks post-op): 177 lbs
                  Weight as of 05-22-2009 (about 9 months post-op): 125 lbs
                  Weight as of 07-28-2009 (about 11.5 months post-op): 115.5 lbs.

Comment

I was having trouble digesting food because of where the hernia was situated and had a small bump in my abdomen just below my left breast area about 2 inches down.
                    Switched January 8, 2002
                    Weight 299 lbs.
                    Present Weight 145 lbs.

Comment

Just
                      You will see and feel it... its where the muscle wall has weakened and it protrudes out of your belly... usually you can push it in to reduce it but as soon as you cough etc... it pops back out
                      April 21st 2005 - Open BPD/DS with Dr. Lutrzykowski
                      Weight now 120-130 varies widely
                      Beginning size 26-28 and 3x's
                      Now Size 2 and 3's depending on the weight sometimes a 4 lol but usually 2

Comment

Originally posted by Becky View Post
                        I wear a bikini though I do wear a sarong with it because I won't get my thighs lifted for a few more months yet. I also wear strong spf on them when outside and I also use scar therapy and am amazed at how good that stuff works, even on the older, tougher scars it breaks them down and softens them, makes them very light.

What kind of scar therapy? Or is that the name brand?

PS - thanks so much for posting pics ladies!
                        Kimberly, 36, Western Canada
                        Dr. Marchesini, Open DS: 12/20/2005
                        surgery weight 277
                        current weight 142
                        highest pregnancy weight 185, gained aprx 25 lbs, lost within first 6 weeks
                        down an average of 120 pounds
                        Healthy baby boy June 2010

my stats at: http://www.epursimuove.com/ds/view_profile.asp?dsID=1059&dsName=Kimberly123

NB:My comments are purely based on my own personal experience & I have no medical training.

Comment

This is what I use for mine, it truly works, I think it was about $30 for a finger nail type/size bottle of it.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.a...&productid=752
                          Switched January 8, 2002
                          Weight 299 lbs.
                          Present Weight 145 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                          X