Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
ANY DOCTORS AROUND?? Will I still have a Baby??? PLEASE HELP !!! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANY DOCTORS AROUND?? Will I still have a Baby??? PLEASE HELP !!!

Hello Everybody,

I had 3 operations that started last November 17, 2000, December 16,2000 and October 3,2001. The reason why I was operated is due to Obstructions. They found some small seeds in my small intestines and it become swollen. I almost died due to conflicts with my Small Intestine. That's why on the 3rd operation (different hospital), they decided to cut it and now I only have 90 cm left. I think what I have now is only the Ileum. I'm maintaining Trevoca, Rubramin for my Vit. B12 and Forever Aloe Vera Gel Herbal Juice. These were all recommended by my Doctors in the Philippines who handled the 3rd operation. I tried to avoid food that are rich with fats, too much sweets. After the operation, I also had this 'bad odor' when I fart. But I can handle that pretty well. Now I am very well and gained back life. Married my long time Fiance and I joined him now in Germany.

Recently, I had check-up with an Ob-Gyne. It's because I want to know why for the first time I had an extended period (started in Nov.12 up to now but very light now and I am just using a Panty Liner, it was not really heavy but what worries me is the extended period. My Menstrual Cycle is regular since I was in my teens. I'm 36 y.o. now and wishing if I can still have a child even one. The Ob-Gyne made a Vagina Ultrasound and saw a 9cm in Diameter Cyst in my left ovary. He said the blood is not a problem and don't see anything bleeding inside. But will need an operation to take out the 'Cyst'. He then scheduled me to a Surgeon-Gyne (to his fellow-doctor, also here in Germany) for further check up.This time he made an Ultrasound on my lower abdomen. He can see something but is not sure if it is a Cyst. It is liquid. He don't want to do another operation without being sure where to start. I don't feel any pain either. He made a CA-125 test too (my Gastroencology from the Phils. asked for it). He suggested that we waited one more week.

He also suggested that he will clean my uterus which he said will only last for 5 minutes. He will also try to get something of the 'Cyst' and have it check. I don't have a child yet and this will be the first time I'll go for a test like this. Is that safe?

When we spoke to the Ob-Gyne yesterday evening who saw the 9cm in diameter Cyst, he said he still strongly suggest an operation. Thought about Laparascopy but he see it quite risky for he don't know how is the position of my intestines now. Both Doctors works in the same hospital.

I would like to get a second opinion but I'm only scheduled on the 10th December with another Ob-Gyne. We also thought about suggesting CT-Scan to doctors to get a better view of my lower abdomen. Is that correct?

Lastly, should everything turn out to be fine, is it safe for me to get pregnant anytime now? or should I wait?

Would appreciate if someone can make a comment on this.

Hope you all understand. Sorry for my long mail but I badly need an advice.

All the Best.

Regards,
    Mel Marii

It is never a bad idea to get a second opinion.

I have not had WLS, but I've been doing a lot of reading, and I believe I've come across at least two opinions that it is totally possible to have a healthy, normal pregnancy after DS.

As far as your cyst goes, 9 cm sounds large, but not scary big. Has anyone suggested biopsying it? That would give them an idea of what the cyst contained, which will help the doctors make the decision as to whether it should come out or not.

Cleaning your uterus sounds like a Dilation and Curation (sp?), where they open your cervix up and scrape or vacuum out the lining. Unless you're having some serious bleeding, I don't know why they'd want to do that.

I'm going to suggest that you get a second opinion, a second ultrascan, and a second doctor who knows a lot about WLS to answer your questions about pregnancy.

Comment

My surgeon says that women have healthier babies after the surgery. (Better birth weights because no diabetes etc)

My concern for you about the DS is that your intestine doesn't sound healthy. You must have a relatively healthy colon and it sounds like you do not have the duodenal portion of your small intestine????????

You definately need to get advise from a bariactric physician. I know that I am not qualified to give you advise!

Wanda Johnson
      http://johnhustedmd.com/testimonials/wanda_johnson.htm
      POST-OP Dr. John Husted Open DS October 14, 2002 287 lbs BMI 46
      03/01/05 - 165 pounds BMI 26.6 -122 pounds I fluctuate between 160 and 165 since recovery from plastic surgery. Lost 122 lbs since surgery, 155 pounds since my highest weight of 320

POST-OP Dr. Fabio Zamprogno, Plastic Surgeon, Vitoria Brazil

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Comment

Thanks for your comments below.

True, it is big but at the same time he is not sure whether it is a cyst. But how come I don't feel pain at all (if it is really a Cyst)

No, they didn't suggest Biopsying. Will you please enlighten me on this one what does it mean??

I don't really know what it means by 'cleaning' the Uterus. I don't have serious bleeding, it is getting lesser and lesser. Also what does it mean by 'Dilation and Curation (sp?)'. Sorry for asking but I am not really familiar with these terms. I hope you understand.

I will get another schedule with an Ob-Gyne on Tuesday next week. Maybe he will see something different.

Thank you very much again for your time. I appreciate that very much. Thank you.

Hope to hear from you again.

God Bless.

Regards,
        Mel Marii

Orginally posted by phouka

It is never a bad idea to get a second opinion.

I have not had WLS, but I've been doing a lot of reading, and I believe I've come across at least two opinions that it is totally possible to have a healthy, normal pregnancy after DS.

As far as your cyst goes, 9 cm sounds large, but not scary big. Has anyone suggested biopsying it? That would give them an idea of what the cyst contained, which will help the doctors make the decision as to whether it should come out or not.

Cleaning your uterus sounds like a Dilation and Curation (sp?), where they open your cervix up and scrape or vacuum out the lining. Unless you're having some serious bleeding, I don't know why they'd want to do that.

I'm going to suggest that you get a second opinion, a second ultrascan, and a second doctor who knows a lot about WLS to answer your questions about pregnancy.

Comment

Hello,

thank you very much for your advise.

My doctors told me that I only one part of the small intestine. I have regular check ups and so far they are all good. My Gastroencologist says I can still be pregnant. I don't know if she just want to make me smile that time.

By the way, what is bariactric physician?? Kindly please let me know.

Thanks again for your time and hope to hear from you again.

Have a nice weekend.

God Bless.

Regards,
          Mel Marii

Orginally posted by WandaJ

My surgeon says that women have healthier babies after the surgery. (Better birth weights because no diabetes etc)

My concern for you about the DS is that your intestine doesn't sound healthy. You must have a relatively healthy colon and it sounds like you do not have the duodenal portion of your small intestine????????

You definately need to get advise from a bariactric physician. I know that I am not qualified to give you advise!

Comment

Ok, I guess I am confused... This board is about the duodenal switch weight loss surgery. A Bariactric Surgeon is a surgeon who specializes in weight loss surgery.

I thought that you were considering the DS surgery and wondered if you could have a baby after surgery.

Your situation sounds complicated to me and I would definately get more than one GYN's opinion. Your GYN can answer all the questions you asked about 'Dilation and Curation', which is a procedure they use to "clean out the uterus" if needed.

Since you are seeing your doctor Tuesday, I think it best to get your questions answered by an expert.

I don't see any reason why your physician would tell you that you could have a baby just to humor you. That would be very unethical.

Best wishes for a healthy baby in your future
            Wanda Johnson
            03/01/05 - 165 pounds BMI 26.6 -122 pounds I fluctuate between 160 and 165 since recovery from plastic surgery. Lost 122 lbs since surgery, 155 pounds since my highest weight of 320

Comment

Hi, melmarii.

A biopsy is a very straight forward procedure used to investigate all sorts of "what is it?" questions when it comes to tissues. Basically, the doctor removes a small sample of the tissue - usually using a long needle and local anesthetic. The sample is then sent to the lab and identified. From the identification, the doctor determines the diagnosis and treatment that are appropriate.

You have a lot of questions, which is good. The trouble is, it's hard to answer them on a message board like this, because unlike your doctor, we don't know all the details of what you're talking about.

My best recommendation for you is to sit down and write out all the questions you can think of. Then, when you see your doctor again, take a friend or relative who can act as an advocate for you. Sometimes, when we're in the doctor's office, we get so distracted or intimidated by the goings-on that we forget to ask our questions or really get after the doctor to explain it in terms we can understand. That's what your advocate is there for.

Set up another appointment with you doc. If you still don't have the answers that you want, go to a second doctor and get his/her opinion. You might want to do that even if the first doctor answered your questions. It never hurts.

Comment

Great advice!!
                Wanda Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X