X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronounciation?

Can someone type out how the word DUODENAL is said? I don't want to look like an idiot and say it wrong...you know, yes dr. so and so I have really done my research thoroughly and I would like to have the duodenal switch (and I pronounce it wrong )

Re: Pronounciation?

Some say "doo-AH-den-uhl"

Some say "doo-ah-DEEN-uhl"

Either is correct.
    Melanie in Valrico, FL, age 51
    LapDS by Dr. Rabkin 10/19/99
    Starting weight 299, now 148
    Starting size 26/28, now 8

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/Patien.../melaniem.html

Direct replies: melanie@themagruders.com

Comment

Thank you very much Melanie! I've been pronouncing it doo-AH-den-al, since the body part is the doo-AH-denum, and last night at the not-great meeting had the moderator correct my pronounciation in front of the whole group. I was a bit annoyed *grumble*.

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,

Melanie is correct; pronounce it either way you wish. My surgeon says do -o - deen- al and my gastroenterologist says it the other way!

Sorry you had to confront that rudeness - and in front of others to boot.

Have a good day.

Reg

Comment

...the writer in me couldn't keep quiet on this one.

There's probbly nothing wrong with pronouncing it "due WAH duh null". But there is no basis for it. "Duodenal" comes from "duodenum" and the etymology for Duodenum is Duodenum \Du`o*de"num\, noun. [New Latin expression, from duodeni twelve each: compare to the French expression duodenum. So called because its length is about twelve fingers' breadth.].

...from the Oxford Dictionary.

Personally, it hurts my ears to hear "due WAH duh null". I too have been corrected and usually correct right back, using the exact premise as Elizabeth states. But I'm also insanely pedantic about these things. I need a life.

Due wah diddy diddy dum.

Comment

Funny Marybeth,

I was pronouncing it the correct way at first but then I said it to my Aunt (a nurse) who had no idea what I was saying. Then when she finally understood, corrected me with the do WAH duh null.

Apparently she is wrong and I have to retrain my tongue AGAIN!
            Jenn
            Post-Op
            Surgery: July 18, 2006
            Surgeon: Dr. Pomp of Weill Cornell Physicians NYC

Comment

Originally posted by Jenn
              Funny Marybeth,

I was pronouncing it the correct way at first but then I said it to my Aunt (a nurse) who had no idea what I was saying. Then when she finally understood, corrected me with the do WAH duh null.

Apparently she is wrong and I have to retrain my tongue AGAIN!
              According to dictionary.com, either pronunciation is acceptable.

Comment

Well, Dr. Hess always pronouned it do - o - deen- al. That is how I pronounce it. His replacement since retirement (they work pretty closely) pronounces it do - ADD - in - al. I think it doesn't really matter if the docs can't even figure it out! How rude to correct someone else as though they're too stupid to know....I HATE that! Maybe you should just say DS at the meeting.
                Dr. Brian Lane
                Bowling Green, OH
                3/20/06
                currently at goal - woo hoo!

Comment

Working...
                X

Fatal error: Uncaught Database error in vBulletin 5.0.5: Invalid SQL: /** saveDbCache */ SELECT * FROM vbcacheevent WHERE cacheid IN ('node_24_lvl3data','node_4901_lvl1data','node_1_lvl1data','node_2_lvl1data','node_14_lvl1data','node_4901_lvl3data','vB_UserPerms3193','vBUserRep_3193','vBProfileFields','vBAtchmnts_4901','vb_readperms','getSearchResults_86d768a072290bb7279f605aa39a8f3a','vBAtchmnts_61002','vBAtchmnts_61037','vBAtchmnts_61042','vBAtchmnts_61043','vBAtchmnts_61047','vBAtchmnts_61048','vBAtchmnts_61049','node_61002_lvl3data','node_61037_lvl3data','node_61042_lvl3data','node_61043_lvl3data','node_61047_lvl3data','node_61048_lvl3data','node_61049_lvl3data','vB_UserPerms2711','vB_UserPerms2855','vB_UserPerms3202','vBUserRep_2','vB_UserPerms869','vBUserRep_869','vBUserRep_2711','vBUserRep_2855','vB_UserPerms2984','vBUserRep_2984','vBUserRep_3202','vB_UserPerms3207','vBUserRep_3207','vbnodetext4901_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext_pre_4901_4_0:e38af25796de1237119d539f36b5d806','vbnodetext in /home/duodena/public_html/forum/core/vb/database.php on line 1201