X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holiday eating

How is everybody's holiday eating going so far?

I was pretty good, sticking mostly to the meats and cheese choices with only 1/2 of a baked potato and a few cookies here and there. I am now at a point that I have very little interest in the sweets that abound at holiday celebrations. It was easier than I imagined to stay in control.
    Mark in Webster NY
    Highest weight 626 BMI 80+
    Starting weight 596 BMI 78.6 August 2009
    Surgery weight 535 BMI 70.6 February 23, 2010
    Current weight 264 BMI 34.8 January 2012

found a new favorite store, LL Bean. I went in to buy a pair of fleece lined jeans (it's cold on the shores of Lake Ontario) and I first tried on a 42. Too loose. Tried a pair of 40 waist. Snug but comfortable. I've gone from a 72 to a 40. I litterally had tears in my eyes.

Comment

Congratulations, Mark! That's a big accomplishment.

Comment

Went to a friend's house for Christmas eve dinner. The most protein-laden table you ever wanted to see Feast of the seven fishes plus prime rib. Took it easy with the cocktails this year as well as the appetizers. I was a little concerned because we didn't eat dinner until almost 9 PM (I never eat that late) but everything was great. Enjoyed the food and the company.
        Janet in Reston
        DS 2/25/03
        Dr. Elariny
        Starting weight 320
        Current weight 157

Comment

Originally posted by mark540 View Post
          I was pretty good, sticking mostly to the meats and cheese choices with only 1/2 of a baked potato and a few cookies here and there. I am now at a point that I have very little interest in the sweets that abound at holiday celebrations. It was easier than I imagined to stay in control.
          Mark - I've been meaning to comment on your trip to Disney World. You are not going to believe how much fun you're going to have. I remember the first time I went after my surgery. I had been there dozens of times before surgery but after surgery was the most wonderful. The biggest thing was simply being able to walk around without my back hurting and having to sit down every 10 minutes.

Also, congrats of a successful holiday. It's amazing what the surgery can do for the rest of the body (meaning the mind).
          Janet in Reston
          DS 2/25/03
          Dr. Elariny
          Starting weight 320
          Current weight 157

Comment

I am so looking forward to this trip although I will not be able to walk the park due to advanced arthritis in my knees. I used to only be able to walk 100 yards at a time before surgery, now I can push myself to almost a mile without stopping. Not enough to avoid using my scooter even in a small amusement park let alone Disney and Universal in Orlando. I typically use the scooter to move from area to area in the parks and once I'm near a set of rides or shops I will get up and walk a bit.

I recently had Synvisk injections in my knees and I have seen a dramatic increase in ability to walk and exercise. I hope to have the left knee replaced this spring and the right knee replaced in the fall. It's hard to believe I have not been able to kneel down for over 5 years now.
            Mark in Webster NY

found a new favorite store, LL Bean. I went in to buy a pair of fleece lined jeans (it's cold on the shores of Lake Ontario) and I first tried on a 42. Too loose. Tried a pair of 40 waist. Snug but comfortable. I've gone from a 72 to a 40. I litterally had tears in my eyes.

Comment

Just saw Mark's sig with Disney in it and then Janet's comment on it.

Just got back from Xmas at Disney. Ft Wilderness Cabins -

Brought in our own food to the kitchen in the cabin - so made sure breakfast and snacks were covered. Brought milk, eggs, bacon, nut snacks, sausage, etc. Made two dinners - spaghetti with meat sauce, and another night we cooked hot dogs with chili (bleh, but ok).

Lunch out in the parks was harder - GET RESERVATIONS. The pizza, burger places, you stand in line for that stuff. But if you need to be in control, you need to be in a restaurant, and you need a reservation for that. Ate chicken fingers. Pizzas don't have enough protein to even think about.

Only exception - the fish and chip kiosk in UK Epcot was STELLAR. Totally far and away best non-restaurant meal.

Restaurant dinners you can control - menu-based. However, the prices are a little above market (no shock). Ate one dinner at Le Cellier, steakhouse in basement of Canada Epcot. Prime rib. Another dinner at Akersus Banquet Hall in Norway Epcot. Ordered the beef tips and appetizer is the 'smorgasbord' of salads, salmon, meats, etc. Easy there.

You will have so much fun there - parks are beautiful, crowds are large, and it is COLD right now. Take layers. You will love being able to walk around all day, be with family (ran my niece into the ground ), enjoy the rides (FASTPASS!!!), and just enjoy the day knowing how everything has changed for you. Access to so much. We were in the parks for 6+hrs straight on 4 days. My feet hurt, but I felt great, legs, body, energy. :P And I rode everything and didn't even think about it.

Have a great time.
              /k
              Last edited by Kit; December 29th, 2010, 01:30 AM.
              Kit
              Austin, Tx
              What happens when a DSer gets protein from the source? www.snikte.net/cow
              HW:308/SW:299/GW:145

Comment

We have a few timeshares in Orlando and are quite used to doing most of our own cooking which makes it so easy to manage protein intake. In the parks we have always eaten in the service restaurants without reservations, never had trouble getting a table but we eat at odd times. I seem to rember most had chicken and steak items on the menu. While the costs may be higher it will just be the boss and I going, my daughter can't bear the thought of leaving her boyfreind for a week. When I was in college I would have left in a heartbeat for an all expense paid trip to Disney. I spoil her too much.

When we went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg this past summer I took a small insulated lunch bag with some chicken and yogurt in it for early eats. I explained my predicament at the gate in not being able to eat much of their food choices and there was no argument. Hope the mouse feels the same way.
                Mark in Webster NY

Comment

I remember my first trip to Disney post-weight loss. By the end of the day, everyone else, including my young daughters, was worn out and ready to leave, while I was still raring to go. It was great!
                  Melanie in Valrico, FL, age 51
                  LapDS by Dr. Rabkin 10/19/99
                  Starting weight 299, now 148
                  Starting size 26/28, now 8

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/Patien.../melaniem.html

Direct replies: melanie@themagruders.com

Comment

I too remember fondly my Disney trip post-DS. I literally planned it over my one year anniversary of my surgery! I was down exactly 100 lbs then and I can remember the joy of not feeling like my knees and back were burning as I walked around. I can't really remember what I ate, except that we stayed in a condo so I know we did breakfast there. I had bought eggs for me and cereal/milk for the others too. I do remember eating Chinese at Epcott and at the Italian restaurant another night. I just don't specifically recall any other meals. But I remember doing ok - everything had enough variety I could choose what I needed.
                    Melinda (Mindy) from Maryland
                    Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
                    Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

A big thrill for me was riding the Cyclone (old roller coaster) at Coney Island, when my husband and I were dating...

Comment

How did the news years eve eating go for everybody?

We had some friends over, I roasted a goose, made spaetzle and red cabbage, and an English trifle for dessert. Today I am working on a terrine of the goose liver and giblets. Ah, the pleasures of the DS and fat consumption...

Comment

New Year's Eve, had a late dinner at Uchiko here in town (www.uchiaustin.com). Amazing meal of Ninjin Bacon, Karaage, Gyutan, Boquarones, Unagi, their congee, and the p38 / ham and eggs / tiger cry makimono. Brought our own bottle, and they gave bottles of champagne to each table.

So wasn't too bad. Mostly protein and a bit of rice.

Now, working on the cow - you can read about the eating on my new blog Adventures in Eating: The Year of the Cow. :P

Very hard these days to keep down the carbs, particularly as I settle into a broader diet again. Very tough.

ciao
                          /k
                          Kit
                          Austin, Tx
                          What happens when a DSer gets protein from the source? www.snikte.net/cow
                          HW:308/SW:299/GW:145

Comment

We are the family and we do like chicken pasta,some some soft drinks,grilled fish and salad on the holiday occasion.

Comment

Working...
                            X