X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh fruit

I live in upstate NY on the shore of Lake Ontario. We have some of the most magnificent fresh fruits grown in this part of the country available to us.

My question is how much is too much? I have no trouble eating and digesting fresh fruit with or without skins. The nutritionist lists a half cup of fruit twice daily as the max but she has not had anyone have the DS procedure before and I feel she relates everything to the RNY or Lap-Band more common in this area.

I have yet to meet another DS person at any of the support groups to compare notes with.
    Mark in Webster NY
    Highest weight 626 BMI 80+
    Starting weight 596 BMI 78.6 August 2009
    Surgery weight 535 BMI 70.6 February 23, 2010
    Current weight 264 BMI 34.8 January 2012

found a new favorite store, LL Bean. I went in to buy a pair of fleece lined jeans (it's cold on the shores of Lake Ontario) and I first tried on a 42. Too loose. Tried a pair of 40 waist. Snug but comfortable. I've gone from a 72 to a 40. I litterally had tears in my eyes.

There are no "rules." Fruit contains a lot of carbs and so is absorable by us. It's all a matter of balancing your diet, and making sure your loss is maintained. I eat lots of fruit in season, but when I do in those months, I make sure not to eat simple carbs in other forms (bread, pasta, rice, sweets, etc)

Yesterday I ate corn, peach, nectarine, cherries, tomato...the rest was protein, plus I exercised for an hour. I am 10+ years post-op.

But Mark you are very much in the weight loss phase...watch your carbs. Focus on protein. 2 pieces of fruit a day is probably plenty, and don't eat other simple carbs. Eat protein, vegetables, complex carbs. And don't drink fruit juice.

Comment

I usally take in 4 oz protein (chicken mostly) and 1/2 cup cooked veg or 1 cup raw greens at each meal. The fruit is usally snacks during the day mixed with 1 oz cheese.

So far I am still on a loss of 4-5 lbs per week.

Thanks for your input.
      Mark in Webster NY

found a new favorite store, LL Bean. I went in to buy a pair of fleece lined jeans (it's cold on the shores of Lake Ontario) and I first tried on a 42. Too loose. Tried a pair of 40 waist. Snug but comfortable. I've gone from a 72 to a 40. I litterally had tears in my eyes.

Comment

Glycemic Index

Originally posted by mark540 View Post
        I live in upstate NY on the shore of Lake Ontario. We have some of the most magnificent fresh fruits grown in this part of the country available to us.

My question is how much is too much? I have no trouble eating and digesting fresh fruit with or without skins. The nutritionist lists a half cup of fruit twice daily as the max but she has not had anyone have the DS procedure before and I feel she relates everything to the RNY or Lap-Band more common in this area.

I have yet to meet another DS person at any of the support groups to compare notes with.
        Here are the glycemic index numbers for a bunch of fruits...It is always best to stick with the ones with the lowest number because they usually have more fiber and less sugar.

Cherries 22
        Grapefruit 25
        Prunes 29
        Apricots, dried 30
        Apple 38
        Peach, canned in juice 38
        Pear, fresh 38
        Plum 39
        Strawberries 40
        Orange, Navel 42
        Peach, fresh 42
        Pear, canned 43
        Grapes 46
        Mango 51
        Banana 52
        Fruit Cocktail 55
        Papaya 56
        Raisins 56
        Apricots, fresh 57
        Kiwi 58
        Figs, dried 61
        Apricots, canned 64
        Cantaloupe 65
        Pineapple, fresh 66
        Watermelon 72
        Dates 103
        Allison

Comment

Thank you for posting the glycemic indices!

Cherries and grapefruit are both on my list of 'eat' and glad to see they are so low. They were the first fruits I had months after surgery and were both a welcome treat and taste over what I had been 'eating'.

Too bad on the watermelon though. Love that stuff.

Cheers,
          /k
          Kit
          Austin, Tx
          What happens when a DSer gets protein from the source? www.snikte.net/cow
          HW:308/SW:299/GW:145

Comment

Mark -- during your weight loss window phase, suggest keeping fresh fruits to a minimum. IMHO you should completely focus on protein right now. You should be snacking on protein not sugar (fruit).

I understand because summer fruits are my absolute favorates but I know they are loaded with sugar/carbs. They are "good" carbs, but carbs nonetheless.

You're doing amazing with your weight loss but you still have a long way to go and you don't want to sabatoge anything.

"Treat" yourself occassionally with a good piece of fruit.
            Janet in Reston
            DS 2/25/03
            Dr. Elariny
            Starting weight 320
            Current weight 157

Comment

Janet,

I'm sure you are correct about limiting fruits and I will contiue to do my best but there are times when I feel if I eat another piece of meat, chicken or cheese I will turn into one. Two pieces of fruit is the max I will work with for now and try to use more protein snacks. Thank you.
              Mark in Webster NY

Comment

Mark if you're going to eat two pieces of fruit per day, make that your only carbohydrates.

Comment

Mark,

I haven't eaten any cherries yet, but did before DS. They are great anti-inflammatories. They helped my gout. And may be helpful for your knees if you are eating fruits now.

Comment

Fruit is full of absorbable sugar. Watch your quantities.

Comment

Fruit and BPD

Hi Mark
                      I eat a raw food diet just fresh fruit and vegetables with few nuts and seeds,used to do this about 70 percent but have been 100 percent for up to 3 months at a time with no drama,blood tests good,energy great and I EAT HEAPS OF FRUIT
                      Cheers Bryan
                      BPD with DS 06/01/03
                      Dr Ritchie Sydney Australia
                      270kg now 96kg and now back on raw ,weight will drop
                      Any others on this forum eating a raw food diet would love to hear from you

Comment

I haven't eaten any cherries yet, but did before DS. They are great anti-inflammatories. They helped my gout. And may be helpful for your knees if you are eating fruits now.

Comment

Working...
                        X