X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dietician's Advice

At my 6 week appt my dietician had some really good sources of protein that I can now eat. One is beef jerky, another is string cheese.

I am new here, so pardon my ignorance. How do the rest of you get in your 90 grams of protein a day? How did you do it at 6 weeks out? Did you rely heavily on supplements?

I find myself relying heavily on my supplements and cannot imagine that in the future I would possibly be able to get all my 90 grams of protein in with real food. Is it possible, and how do you do it?

Another question: I still have a rock hard pain after eating solid foods in my stomach. Surgeon says this is normal and will go away. Dietician and nurse were concerned. Anyone else have this, and did it go away?

I'm five years out and it is a miracle if I get 90 grams in. One DS Dr. told me 70 is enough, it all depends on how much you weigh. I am lucky to get 60 in, I know that is not great, I really have a hard time eating very much at all so I still use protein bars and drinks. At least my labs come back perfectly except for the calcium part. I have been taking tons of Calcium all along but now I am also on Fosamax ( I have osterpenia.) If you are only 6 weeks there is no way you can get 90 grams a day, just do your best.
    Karin B
    USC Medical Center
    Dr. Sillan
    Start: 281
    Present: 187

Comment

I don't have any problem getting 100 g of protein in. None at all. In the beginning I used a lot of protein shakes. 4 25 g shakes would do it and that doesn't count any solid food at all! Protein bullets are great if you don't like the texture of shakes.
      I don't usually need any supplements now, though. I have 14g for breakfast, about 25 for lunch - either with a sandwhich on high protein bread with lots of deli meat or a frozen dinner, nuked, about 42 at dinner 7 oz of protein at 6 g per oz - either with just meat or combo of meat and edamame and 20 more at bedtime with about 3 cups of lactaid and peanut butter on crackers or english muffin. Oh and I sometimes have some kind of snack in the evening before bed! (a cheese stick or some fruit or something.)
      JB

Comment

IMHO you should not be experiencing pain following eating. Never experienced this ever. Talk to the nurse if the doctor won't listen.

At 6 weeks post-op its almost impossible to get 90 grams of protein from food alone. You need protein supplements -- best is in the form of shakes or bullets. Doesn't take up any room and it will give you a good amount of protein. Haven't taken them for years so I don't know what's on the market. They're not great tasting but you need to supplement at this point. I think I did supplements for several months following surgery. Good protein choices that are easy to eat are tuna or egg salad, eggs, cottege cheese, deli meat, cheese. Keep trying things. Your tastes will continue to change.
        Janet in Reston
        DS 2/25/03
        Dr. Elariny
        Starting weight 320
        Current weight 157

Comment

Thanks! You all are great at answering my questions. The "rock" pain is slowly going away. I notice that I only have it now when I'm eating and something else upsets me. Like having to listen to someone (who shall for marital reasons remain nameless) gluttonously and slovenly eating next to me. This person wolfs his food down in an obscene manner without time to taste it. Which is offensive to me when I take the time to cook from scratch for him. Then he usually starts an objectionable conversation.

I have started eating separate from the rest of the family lately. Last night I was so mad I left and didn't cook for them at all.

Comment

Sheanie - one question - are you drinking while you're eating? Just curious. I'm still concerned that you're experiencing pain while you're eating.

I'm not even gonna touch the other part of your post because I'm single and live by myself so I only have to listen to myself
            Janet in Reston
            DS 2/25/03
            Dr. Elariny
            Starting weight 320
            Current weight 157

Comment

Nope, not drinking when I eat. I really think it's stress because when I am all alone and I eat the same things in the same amounts, I have absolutely no pain at all.

If I am still having this when I go for my 3 month appointment, I'm going to pursue it.

Comment

Some soothing music played during dinner might help. Keeps you calmer and drowns out objectionable noises too. Keep some pretty flowers on the table to gaze at when the surroundings are distracting.
                JB

Comment

Okay, here's an update. They put me back on Prilosec for another 4 weeks. I still was having stomach pain and cramping before they put me back on Prilosec again. Hopefully this course of treatment will end the issue for good. I have just in the past few days had more of an appetite and can eat lunch meat now.

Comment

FWIW, I'm on daily Prilosec and have been for years, and have no intention of stopping. Prilosec only works as long as you're taking it - not sure why they would put you on for 4 weeks and then have you stop. Have you had an endoscopy? What do you mean by stomach pain and cramping? Prilosec blocks the production of acid and is meant for controlling that...

Comment

That's what I was afraid of, that I'd be taking Prilosec long term. When I'm not on Prilosec, whenever I eat anything more solid than yogurt I get a hard rock-like feeling pain in my stomach. It's exactly the feeling you get right before you throw up, like a stomach cramp. I'm not drinking before or during eating when I get this pain. I had an endoscopy prior to surgery to check for ulcers and what-not, and there were no findings, everything was normal. I had been taking Pepcid chewables at bedtime prior to DS surgery for reflux during the night, which started again after the first course of Prilosec ran out post-DS surgery. One thing that was mentioned is another endo if this problem persists.

On a related note, I was somewhat freaked out that the stomach staples my surgeon used contained nickel, which I am allergic to. All of my queries about the metal content of the staples before surgery were answered vaguely. I finally told my doctor it was on him, that if there was nickel in them, we'd be finding out the hard way. Yesterday I finally got the final word that the staples are pure titanium. Most shaving razors are made with nickel, incidentally.

My insurance covers the Prilosec with a co-pay of $5, if I get it by prescription. Otherwise, I'd have to pay the OTC price, which would be higher. So that's a good thing.

Comment

Don't worry about being on Prilosec long term. Lots of people are, myself included. For over 10 years. No problems of any kind. It's a great drug, it really works.

Comment

I'm part of the Prilosec crowd and love it. I've been on it for 2 years and really do miss it when they take too long faxing in a refill perscription! Good luck!
                          ~Nim (Dara for Jenn )

There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly. ~R. Buckminster Fuller

7-8-05 Consultation with Dr. Lutrzykowski Bloomfield Hills, MI
                          9/6/05 Pre-op: 5'2" 290 lbs. BMI 53.1!
                          9/7/05 Open BPD/DS
                          3-22-06 Very open adhesion removal.
                          2/2/07 Hernia repair and abdominoplasty.
                          6/1/07 brachioplasty, axilla excision, and breast augmentation.
                          9/14/07 mastopexy, muscle repair.
                          5/15/08 Adhesion removal, lap this time!!
                          6/25/08 Small bowel resection/revision of connections. Lap again! Thanks Dr. Enochs!
                          12/12/08 thigh skin excision
                          2/4/09 adhesion removal...again
                          6/19/09 adhesion removal...again

2/24/09 5'2" 119lbs. BMI 21.8!! HOLY POOP I'M NORMAL!!!

Comment

So what do you others experience off Prilosec? It's supposed to act on stomach acid, right? Could that alone be the reason for my pain? I was under the (false?) impression that I was still healing, and that was the reason for the pain.

Comment

Prilosec blocks the production of stomach acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omeprazole

When I go off it, the reflux and heartburn return after a few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X