X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diet

Is there a list somewhere or general guideline of what we should be eating? I'm almost 6 yrs post op and the day I was discharged from the hospital, the dietician was off, small hospital, they only had one, So I've always just been eating what I wanted. Also, fiber, what are some of the brands everyone uses?

100g of protein daily
    vitamins (not just a flintstone chewable)
    64+oz of liquid daily

Eat your protein first, if there's room left, complex carbs veggies and fruit...

As you get further out, you'll add in carbs and sugar, and that's where the weight gain comes from. Try going back to basic DS eating plan if you've gained weight.

Have you been having your labs drawn yearly? How are your D3, Vit A, B levels, iron?
    Chris
    HW 225~SW 205~CW 139~GW 132 BMI 26.3
    DS - Dr Rabkin - Surgery 4/17/08
    PS in Monterrey Jan 13, 2011 with Dr Sauceda

Comment

Protein first, 100 g/day. If you are trying to lose more weight, protein second too. Then some leafy green veggies, then some carb veggies if you still have room.

Stay away from drinking ANYTHING with sugar. In my book, there is no point to drinking sugar if you can have artificially flavored drinks with no sugar, or water. (OK, except the OCCASIONAL alcoholic drink -- but those are very high in calories that are 100% absorbed. And milk and the occasional citrus [OJ, grapefruit] fruit juice for taking your calcium.)

High protein, high fat diets are not hard to live with. A can of chicken mixed with lots of mayo (and pickle relish, if you're like me) is a VERY satisfying meal all by itself, and the 12 oz can of Costco chicken breast has 84 g of protein in it. I can eat a whole can in about 30-45 min now. And filet mignon, crab legs drenched in butter, chicken thighs (WITH the skin!), shrimp, scallops, pork tenderloins -- it's all good.

Fartogenic foods to avoid (which are generally the simpler carbs that are easily absorbed, so two reasons to limit them): white flour products, such as bread and pasta (and of course cookies and cake!); really any wheat products; beans; broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts; too much rice. Lactose can be a problem for some folks, both before and moreso after the DS. If gas or diarrhea is a problem, watch for artificial sweeteners ending in "-itol" -- my guts do not like them AT-ALL. Maltitol, sorbitol, xylitol, erythritol -- I'd rather do without than deal with the side effects from them! No diet candy, diet bars, diet ice cream, etc. for me!

Comment

Working...
      X