Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awww, Peg I feel for you. Really, I do! I would be scared too about going to my boyfriend's family's house for a gathering! *Yikes!* I pray yours goes well. (I too, probably wouldn't eat all that day, and would make up some excuse to go to a nearby store if I had to use the restroom.) My boyfriend is awesome with that, he totally understands. He is just amazed that I am so poop-focused! heehee (But thankfully, due to taking Flagyl, I fart less often than he does. Oh yeah! =) And, due to taking Nullo, my farts smell better than his! Boo-ya!)

I get sick if I eat *too* much junk food. I just feel queasy/bloated/gassy/gross. Have you tried to eat more "healthier" junk? I L-O-V-E fruits (apples, oranges, bananas and strawberries). Pizza is something I eat almost daily. Oatmeal or breads?

If I was trying to hold on to more weight, I'd probably watch my fat intake (and not eat so many McDonald's double cheeseburgers and fries!)

To answer your question, Bridg:

As for my carbs, I have never watched/limited them. On a "good food" day I eat roughly 8 times, which equals:

anywhere from 100-160 grams of protein
    150-300 grams of carbs or more (have never counted)
    25-45 grams of fiber
    140 ounces plain H2O
    all my vitamins/supplements

Everyone is sooo very different post-DS. For instance, I seem to be able to eat basically anything from a weight-gain standpoint, but I am constantly battling either too-loose stools (going 4-10 times per day) or not enough stools (going 1 time per day, or not at all that day!)

Insoluble fiber is yummy (I love beans and veggies, etc.) but too much of it does give me gas/bloating. I take 20 grams per day of soluble fiber (Thanks Nimbus!) in the form of a powder that I mix with applesauce. It does not make me feel bloated, but it does keep things moving kind-of along schedule!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by AmandaLeigh; December 28th, 2007, 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling... what else?
    ~AmandaLeigh~
    I love you Nathan!
    "So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten."

Comment

Do you guys count the carbs in milk?
      I have alot of milk to help with my protien intake and wondering ifI should cut this down.
      luv
      Doody
      xxx
      Start weight 21st 3
      12st 9 lbs at 16 months out, so loss of 8st 8

Comment

There is a lucky few who really can eat as they please. They are the minority.

I ran out of window before I ran out of fat. This could happen to you too! My best advice to anyone is to lose the weight first. Then find out what you can eat on the carb buffet without gaining.

There are some people still losing slowly 3,4,5 years post-op. There are others who stop losing after 6 months. There's no way to say where you will be in the heap.

Use your time wisely!

Comment

Originally posted by doody View Post
          Do you guys count the carbs in milk?
          I have alot of milk to help with my protien intake and wondering ifI should cut this down.
          Absolutely -- carbs are carbs. The carbs in milk are from sugar. I used to drink milk by the gallon pre-op. Now I don't drink it at all. Every once in a great while I'll have a small glass of milk.

It was hard to tell from your signature block what your weight loss status is? Are you still losing or do you still want to lose?
          Janet in Reston
          DS 2/25/03
          Dr. Elariny
          Starting weight 320
          Current weight 157

Comment

Originally posted by jpcello View Post
            Absolutely -- carbs are carbs. The carbs in milk are from sugar. I used to drink milk by the gallon pre-op. Now I don't drink it at all. Every once in a great while I'll have a small glass of milk.

It was hard to tell from your signature block what your weight loss status is? Are you still losing or do you still want to lose?

I am still tryin to lose more weight, now 15 months out.
            Only lost about 10lbs in last 4 months.
            I need to lose another 3 stone (about 40lbs) to be 'normal'

Might try cutting down the milk but it really helps me get the protien in everyday.
            luv
            Doody
            xxx
            Start weight 21st 3

Comment

Doody
              Are you getting in enough protein and water?
              JB

Comment

Doody -- just curious. Why are you relying on milk to get protein and not actual food? IMHO losing 40 pounds at 16 months out will definitely take serious carb reduction.
                Janet in Reston
                DS 2/25/03
                Dr. Elariny
                Starting weight 320
                Current weight 157

Comment

Well, this topic is a bit old, so this may not be of help to you anymore, but perhaps it will help someone else.

Based on advice from people like Roz and Patty, I committed to going low carb. I was starting with a BMI of 56 so I was not going to fool around with this. I think people starting with lower BMIs around 40ish have more room to dance with the devil, but why risk it when you have such a good opportunity and limited time to really get the lubs off?

I tend to consider around 50 or less grams of carbs per day as low carb. I don't think I eat that many, but I don't count. I do scrutinize labels on everything I buy and I make sure that I am picking out good food choices - things with lots of protein, and not a lot of carbs.

For the first 3 or so months, I was pretty strict with my food choices. Most of the things that I ate were basically pure protein - lots of meat, cheese, eggs. I bet I stayed under 20 or so grams of carbs on those days, with maybe an occasional day when I went above. Starting about a month ago, at 4 months out, I decided to give myself a little more freedom and I allow myself to eat more vegetables and beans on occasion than I did. Based on a best guess, I still think I stay under 35g of carbs per day.

Comment

Thanks all.

I tend to have 3 large mugs of milk a day which gets me to about 45gms protien. I do have meat, chicken cheese and nuts to make it up to 100gms. I dont have much in the way of veg or carbs such as bread or rice. I do have some chocolate though about 1 small bar.
                    I know my milk is giving me about 22gms of carbs per mug but as i find it really helps to have it to get my protien in I wondered how harmful the carbs in the milk were? are they counted the same as in bread etc? are all carbs bad?
                    luv
                    Doody
                    xxx
                    Start weight 21st 3

Comment

The difference in carbs from different sources is the glycemic index. I'm not sure what the GI in milk is so you might want to check that out. You could probably find it in an Atkins book or just google it. Generally carbs from whole grain sources are lower Glycemic index but they really vary. It's the refined sugar that gives DS'ers trouble since we absorb it most readily.
                      BTW I drink milk every day too to get extra protein and calcium. I'm below weight though.
                      JB

Comment

I realise this is an old thread but just wanted to say that I too enjoy drinking milk as a source of protein, and do not seem to have become lactose intolerant since surgery (I eat other dairy without problems), but in case I might be, I bought in some lactose free milk (over here it's called Lactaid). It's available in almost every supermarket in semi-skimmed (2%) or, more recently, full cream. I'm sticking with it instead of ordinary milk for several reasons, even though it's a bit more expensive - it keeps much longer than "lactose milk", it tastes good and (for us the most important part) it is the same protein but half the carbs of regular milk! I'm sure you must have a similar product over there.

Comment

Drewa -- I do exactly the same thing. Since I only tend to drink 1 glass a day I like the lactose-free because it stays so much longer.
                          Janet in Reston
                          DS 2/25/03
                          Dr. Elariny
                          Starting weight 320
                          Current weight 157

Comment

For me low carb is 20/50 per day.

Milk can and will sneak up on you and it is possible to have too much. In general, food is preferable to drinking your calories/carbs. Jillian on OH had a significant regain and was only able to lose the weight after she gave up most of the milk she was drinking. I know of one other person who never came close to her goal and my best bet would be milk/dairy. Her problem was worse than just milk. She drank those yougurt drinks that have as much sugar as a can of Coke. Dairy = Good was a logic tight compartment in her brain.

Are you drinking too much milk/dairy? Cut it out for a couple weeks and see. The scale will tell you.

Comment

Patty is correct. Read this:

http://www.lowcarbohydrate.net/httbl...es/000082.html

Comment

If you can low carb after surgery why not lo carb before and not have surgery?

Just curious. I'm getting ready to have the DS. And now I am reading that everybody has to stay low carb to keep their weight off or to lose to goal. I thought after you got your 100 g. of protein in that you could eat what you want. I am worried because I have been on Atkins before and tried low carb diets which I could never stick with. So how is it that you can stick to such a strict diet plan of low carbs AFTER DS when you can't BEFORE DS surgery? Because, if you COULD stick to a low carb diet after surgery, then you wouldn't have needed the surgery in the first place because sticking to low carb diet means losing wt and losing appetite. I don't understand and now I am very worried.

Comment

Working...
                                X