• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday:

3 poached eggs, toasted slice of pumpernickel

ran 5 miles, took a 75 minute yoga class

grapefruit, yogurt

lunch: big greek salad, full of vegetables, hardboiled eggs, anchovies, etc.

peach

went out for pizza for dinner - split a fried calamari app, ate 2 slices of pizza, plus a ceasar salad

Pinkberry on the way home

Comment

B 3 hardboiled eggs
      L chicken cesar wrap, 1/2 cup fruit chunks, 2 choc chip cookies
      S hor d'oerves (3 mini cocktail weenies, 2 tiny egg rolls 3 meatballs, about 6 cheese cubes)
      D chicken tetrazine (2 cups), 1 1/2 cups mixed salad, frozen rasberry cream
      cheese pie
      s popcorn
      s peanut butter crackers
      JB

Comment

Originally posted by DS2000 View Post
        JustMe, your BMI is 20.2. Are you still losing weight?

(oops actually I read on another thread that your BMI is even lower than that - hope you're doing okay)
        Yeah, I'm still losing weight! I thought I had leveled out at 125lbs, but then I noticed I was losing more--now I'm down to 116lbs! and a size 3/4! I can't seem to consume more than 60-70grams of protein per day--my stomach size just won't let me. Lately, I've been adding in more carbs, but I have to be careful with carbs b/c then I won't have room for protein. I tried switching up my diet today and we'll see if I can gain some weight.

B: slice of whole wheat high protein bread, peanut butter, small amount of jam, 4oz of juice
        S: 4oz fat free high protein milk
        L: 2 slices of bacon, a few small bites of ground beef, a few small bites of bleu cheese, 3 fries (not big steak fries, but regular size fries) with ketchup, and a large serving of frozen custard (smooth stuff goes down easy)
        S: a few small bites of ground beef, 4 licorice gum drops, a few sips of root beer (flattened)
        D: many bites of ground beef, a few small bites of bleu cheese, 2 more slices of bacon, about 6 fries with ketchup
        S: several bites of a variety of cheeses, 4oz juice, 2 cookies (custard, cookies, licorice, and root beer all in one day!)

and of course, lots of water and all of my vitamins.

Today was considered a very non-bland day for me. I usu stick to just a few foods (high protein, low fat, low carb) that I eat all the time whereas today, I had a lot of fat and a lot of carbs. I consider today a very adventurous day, although not something that I want to keep up--I don't like the idea of simple sugars as they are not healthful for you. I went to the supermarket and bought some dried fruit today. With dried fruit, I should be able to put on healthful, carb calories that won't fill me up too easily.
        Highest weight: 237 lbs.
        Pre-op weight: 227 lbs.
        Height: 5"6' (or 5"4" if you believe my surgeon)
        Surgery Date: 08-11-2008
        Surgery type: Lap DS (includes vertical sleeve plus modified gastric bypass)
        Weight as of 08-31-2008: 210 lbs.
        Weight as of 10-13-2008 (9 weeks post-op): 182 lbs.
        Weight as of 11-15-2008 (about 14 weeks post-op): 177 lbs
        Weight as of 05-22-2009 (about 9 months post-op): 125 lbs
        Weight as of 07-28-2009 (about 11.5 months post-op): 115.5 lbs.

Comment

You have to get 100 grams of protein in no matter what.

How are all your blood levels - iron, pth, vitamin d, etc etc?

What does your DS surgeon say about the too-low BMI? Are you seeing a nutritionist who understands the DS?

Comment

You have to get 100 grams of protein in no matter what.

How are all your blood levels - iron, pth, vitamin d, etc etc?

What does your DS surgeon say about the too-low BMI? Are you seeing a nutritionist who understands the DS?
            My doctor told me to get in 60-70grams of protein a day, and I've done just that. (I think I would die if they told me that I had to consume 100grams of protein a day--that's hard). My albumin (a measure of the amount of protein you are consuming) was exactly the same as it was pre-op. My iron, PTH, etc were all very good except for my vitamin D levels which were a bit low so they put me on prescription vitamin D.

I meet with my surgeon in 1.5 months for a regular check up. At first, he told me that he was happy that I surpassed my goal ideal weight because there would be a rebound period where I would regain. We'll see what he says now.

I am going to meet with the nutritionist in a week and I am going to keep an extensive food diary before seeing him.

Comment

You are not eating enough protein and you're not eating enough calories. You are underweight and you need to do something about it. Don't wait 1.5 months until you see your doctor. You're 5'6" - you need more than 70g of protein every day (and are you sure you're even getting that?)

When was the last time you had complete bloodwork done?

Comment

You are not eating enough protein and you're not eating enough calories. You are underweight and you need to do something about it. Don't wait 1.5 months until you see your doctor. You're 5'6" - you need more than 70g of protein every day (and are you sure you're even getting that?)

When was the last time you had complete bloodwork done?
                Complete blood work was done in April. I know I need to consume more calories, it is just so hard because I get full so fast/easily--that is why I force myself to snack. Also, if I wake up in the middle of the night hungry, I eat because I am trying to consume more calories. In the past, I very rarely allowed myself to do such a crazy thing.

Comment

What about that Prescription Vit D? I've been researching this a lot lately and find that an extensive review of the diet should be considered critical in the follow sessions. I'm glad you're keeping a food diary to bring in. The Vitamin D drop is insidious and no symptoms of impairment show up until you start breaking bones!! You seem fine and then whammo.
                  In terms of getting in extra calories, I've come to rely on peanut butter crackers and string cheese and cottage cheese. There's tons of protein in cottage cheese and I find it very easy to eat TOO much of it, so if you can handle it that's a good way to get in more protein. I'm lactose intolerant and has not bothered me except for a brief period shortly after my surgery.
                  JB

Comment

yesterday:

3 poached eggs, challah toast with cream cheese and jam

ear of corn, peach, cheese

tuna salad with chick peas

whole wheat pasta with zucchini, swiss chard, tomatoes, onions, feta

plum

Comment

Originally posted by shrinker View Post
                      What about that Prescription Vit D? I've been researching this a lot lately and find that an extensive review of the diet should be considered critical in the follow sessions. I'm glad you're keeping a food diary to bring in. The Vitamin D drop is insidious and no symptoms of impairment show up until you start breaking bones!! You seem fine and then whammo.
                      In terms of getting in extra calories, I've come to rely on peanut butter crackers and string cheese and cottage cheese. There's tons of protein in cottage cheese and I find it very easy to eat TOO much of it, so if you can handle it that's a good way to get in more protein. I'm lactose intolerant and has not bothered me except for a brief period shortly after my surgery.
                      Yeah, cheese (including cottage cheese) and peanut butter have helped me a lot. Also, when I go shopping, I purposefully try to buy full-fat items (like full fat cheeses) and try to taste them to see if I like them. [Prior to the surgery, I actually got so use to eating reduced-fat or low fat items so much so that it is actually hard to change now. For example, I forced myself to like fat free milk as a child due to weight problems even then. Even now, if I try 2% milk or whole milk, I think it is disgusting.] I also try hard to drink a lot of juice (for calories), but I find I prefer water or watered-down juice. Additionally, I am trying to work some dried fruit into my diet now. In the past, that was a big no-no as dried fruit has a lot of calories per ounce, but now I am going to try that. And, I am actually forcing myself to snack and allowing myself to eat in the middle of the night to help increase my caloric intake. Here are a list of healthy snacks I have come up with that might help me put on weight: juice, dried fruit, nuts and seeds, peanut butter (even if it is not on anything, just on a spoon). If anyone has any ideas of healthy, calorie-dense snacks, please let me know.

Comment

Snack: 4 oz fat free high protein milk with my morning vitamins
                        breakfast: 2 thin slices of full fat swiss cheese, 2 thin slices of full fat cheddar cheese, 2 thin slices of deli meat (1 was turkey, 1 was pastrami)
                        snack: cashews (probably about 1/3 cup)
                        lunch: 1/2 cup of ground beef, 1/3 cup of rice, 1/2 cup of full fat yogurt with a dairy-eze tablet
                        snack: 1/2 cup of juice, vitamins, cashews
                        dinner: 1 cup of hot and sour soup (normally, I wouldn't waste a meal on so much liquid, but I really like hot and sour soup)
                        snack: 1/2 cup of high protein fat free milk, vitamins, slice of high protein whole wheat bread with about a tablespoon of full fat peanut butter
                        snack: 2/3 cup of pretzel mix (pretzels, peanuts, cereal, rye chips, sesame sticks), 1/2 cup of high protein milk
                        planned snack before bed tonight: 1/2 cup of full fat yogurt with a dairy-eze tablet

I notice I can consume more food if I consume it in "creamy" forms like yogurt or cheese. If I consume it in more "solid" forms like steak, I eat considerably less. I hate that I have to think about how to add in calories so that I put on weight, but it beats having to think about how to not add on so many calories.

As you can tell from my posts, I have really been trying to consume a lot more food. I use to consume just breakfast, lunch and dinner (no snacks) and each meal was just barely big enough to get in my required protein and no more.

Comment

JustMe, why are you eating fat-free anything?

And why aren't you eating more carbs if you want to gain weight? Pasta? Rice?

How about eating some fish and chicken? How about rice and beans?

Comment

JustMe, why are you eating fat-free anything?

And why aren't you eating more carbs if you want to gain weight? Pasta? Rice?

How about eating some fish and chicken? How about rice and beans?

I prefer the taste of fat-free milk...I cannot stand anything else. I once accidently had some 1% milk and nearly vomited cuz it tasted sooooo disgusting to me.

I am trying to eat more carbs compared to before, but it is hard as carbs make me gasy and give me a very uncomfortable feeling and also give me diarrhea.

I don't like chicken.

Rice and beans will fill me up after 2 bites literally, so I don't want to eat them if I am trying to consume more calories.

Comment

Rice and beans is carbs and a whole protein. That's a good choice for you. Get full. Wait a couple of hours. Eat it again. Get full. Repeat.

What about eggs? Egg and cheese on a roll?

If you want to be healthy you have to modify your diet, there's really no two ways about it. Or else you are looking at a revision of your DS in the not too distant future. Or worse.

Try taking some beano when you eat carbs - that helps me.

The last post about what you ate in a day - you ate no simple carbs at all. You need to. White rice, pasta, bread.

You don't like snacking, you don't like full fat products, you don't like chicken, carbs give you gas....something's gotta give.

Why did you have a DS with a BMI of 38 - what were your comorbidities?

Does anybody know - are there DS surgeons who do the gastrectomy but leave the stomach larger in some cases? What about doing a DS without the gastrectomy?
                              Last edited by DS2000; August 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Rice and beans is carbs and a whole protein. That's a good choice for you. Get full. Wait a couple of hours. Eat it again. Get full. Repeat.

What about eggs? Egg and cheese on a roll?

If you want to be healthy you have to modify your diet, there's really no two ways about it. Or else you are looking at a revision of your DS in the not too distant future. Or worse.

Try taking some beano when you eat carbs - that helps me.

The last post about what you ate in a day - you ate no simple carbs at all. You need to. White rice, pasta, bread.

You don't like snacking, you don't like full fat products, you don't like chicken, carbs give you gas....something's gotta give.

Why did you have a DS with a BMI of 38 - what were your comorbidities?

Does anybody know - are there DS surgeons who do the gastrectomy but leave the stomach larger in some cases? What about doing a DS without the gastrectomy?

Rice with beans simply hurts too much. Plus, it makes me feel full way to fast and then I cannot consume as many calories--defeats the purpose.

I may not like having to interrupt my day to snack, but in case you cannot tell, I am clearly forcing myself to do it.

I suggest you educate yourself on what foods contain carbs and what foods do not. In my last post, I listed numerous foods that contain carbs: milk, cheese, cashews, rice, hot and sour soup, juice, peanut butter, whole wheat bread, pretzel mix, yogurt. Flip over your jar of peanut butter and notice how much fat and carbohydrates and protein is actually in a tablespoon of pb. There's a lot more fat and carbs than you seem to understand.

I had numerous comorbidities, and I don't feel like discussing them at the time. The surgery has helped with most of them.

I've tried beano with the carbs before, but it did me no good. I am willing to give it a try again because so much changes in that first year post-op. I'll keep you up to date on that one. I've also tried numerous probiotics with only minimal effects, but minimal is better than zero.

As for simple carbs, I discussed them with my doctor. He agreed that we should stick to complex, whole carbs so that I don't screw up my blood sugar (diabetic).

Two things I tried this weekend and they worked (I was kinda scared the first one would hurt, but it didn't): a nature valley peanut bar (it has 19g of carbs and only 4g of protein) and rice covered in light sour cream to help it go down easily. And yes, I do very much prefer light sour cream over regular sour cream--it's got more zip! I found out that I still cannot do mashed potatoes (not even if they are smothered in sour cream, cheese, and butter), but that doesn't really bother me...I'm just excited about those peanut bars: they taste great, they don't hurt or give me gas, and they have a lot of carbs!

Can anyone point me to some source that will tell me how many carbs a DSer should be consuming to prevent weight loss? I'm thinking of counting my carbs they way I keep track of my protein.

Comment

Working...
                                X