X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• before DS....

What was an average day's menu like before DS if I may ask?
    ________
    Body science
    Last edited by girl81; April 4th, 2011, 12:31 AM.

I honestly don't remember anymore! I feel like I've always been like this - a normal person with a normal appetite. I do remember, however, feeling like I was always hungry and could eat a pretty sizeable portion. Seconds were quite common for me. All I really remember is the frustration of never feeling full. I thought my stomach was bottomless! Yet today, I still sometimes feel like hunger happens ALOT. I'm amazed I can eat a small/normal meal, and 2 hours later feel like I had skipped that meal altogether. Only difference is, my portions are smaller now.
    Melinda (Mindy) from Maryland
    Lap BPD/DS 11/19/2002
    Dr. Hazem Elariny in VA

Comment

I'm being revised from a 15 year old RNY to the DS soon. Before I stopped smoking, and before I got my date, I was a very light eater. Now, I've been eating like its going out of style. I should have used something to help me quit smoking. Now I'm like a bottomless pit. I think its because I know I won't be able to eat normally for at least 2 months.

Comment

Wow i haven't thought about this in a while. When i go to restaurants though i remember what i used to order. One place in particular where we would visit on special occasions for celebrations, i would always order the 24 oz, prime rib. I dont think i will ever be ordering one of those again. Now i can order the regular portion and be just as satisfied. I do get hungrier faster though. It sometimes disguists me that i would go out for dinner and then after a few hours or a couple drinks i would stop by a fast food for another bite to eat on my way home.
        Glad those habits are over.
        George
        Dr. Marek Lutrzykowski
        September 13, 2006 = Switch
        Starting Weight = 368 pounds
        Goal weight = 205 pounds
        Current weight = 205 pounds

Comment

DS-ers' eating habits before the procedure are of course no different from the eating habits of other overweight people. I don't understand how your question is relevant. Could you shed some light on that?
          BPD/DS (lap), 30 June 2003
          dr. Jacques Himpens, Dendermonde (Belgium)

Comment

I can't really give you a full day's menu, but I can remember some of the typical meals I ate.

Things I would eat when I ate out included:

McDonald's--super sized combo meal (usually quarter pounder with cheese) with a diet soda *ahem* and either two apple pies or 3-6 cookies for dessert. For breakfast there, I would generally eat two breakfast sandwiches (usually bacon-egg-cheese biscuits) and a yogurt parfait.

Applebee's--appetizer (often the blooming onion thing, or the nachos), full entree, and ALWAYS a blondie for dessert.

TGIFriday--appetizer or soup (spinach dip and French onion soup were favorites, or the Jack Daniels wings), full entree, usually with their frizzled onions in place of fries, and ALWAYS dessert.

Comment

Go

Ty Elizabeth. Do you find those things undesirable now or is the quantity the bigger factor of no longer eating them?
              ________
              KNEE PROBLEMS ADVICE
              Last edited by girl81; April 4th, 2011, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Hi Girl81,

I think you want to know what the difference is in pre-op eating and post-op eating. I am 13 months out, I still like all the same foods but just eat maybe 1/2 of what I use to eat. Examples are:

Pizza- Use to eat 4 slices now I eat 2. (tear off much of the crust around the edge)

Outback-Use to eat part of a blooming onion, few slices of bread, salad and my meal. I would be stuffed. Now I don't eat the bread, salad, or the blooming onion. I can eat the add on Crab legs and part of a baked potatoe.

McDonalds breakfast: Use to eat the bacon, egg, cheese meal. Now I just get the sandwich, eat half of it and wait about and hour and eat the other half.

Mexican: When I would make soft tacos at home I would always eat 3. Now I eat 1 and am stuffed.

Panerra: I would get the 1/2 sandwich and 1/2 soup. I could eat all and the extra bread given with it. Now I eat the middle of the sandwich (leave the outer crust) about 1/3 of the soup and none of the extra bread.

Last Sunday I made waffles and bacon for breakfast: In the past I would eat 2 waffles and about 3 bacon. Now I ate 3/4 of a waffle and 2 bacon.

Dairy Queen: Use to get the medium blizzard and could have ate the larger one. Now I get the small and I can only eat about 1/3 of it.

I think a lot wonder what full feels like. To me it feels just like Thanksgiving dinner when I would be stuffed. I had a small stomach after surgery (80 ml). I know a lot of others can eat more at a time. I still do not drink fluids with my meals just because I don't want to give up the space.

I eat nuts and M&M's just about everyday.

Hope this helps with what you are looking for.
                Ruby
                Dr. Lutrzykowski
                Open DS 9-27-06
                BMI 21.3

Comment

Go

It sure does Ruby. Thank you.
                  ________
                  Ipad cases
                  Last edited by girl81; April 4th, 2011, 12:32 AM.

Comment

I used to eat alot of the same things just more snacking and yes, more fast food and bigger choices. For example, I liked Big mac meals. Well now I can still eat a big mac and much of the fries, but instead I order a double cheeseburger with big mac sauce -and i pull away much of th ebread and toss it - i could eat it, I just lik ebing thin more than the extra food. I don't have the whole over eating thing conquered but something happens when you get to be closer to a healthy body weight and it in my case I am more invested and motivated in maintaining my appearance and health - both!

I also find I can hang out more with the "fit" girls at work - join them for a run or walk at lunch, discuss diets etc. Before I would have felt like an outsider or a fraud, now I just get it - it is a process, a project that we all face. Choices every day. So many more resources seem open to me and I don't feel like "me" and "them" as much anymore - if at all.

I also joined LA weight loss 7 weeks ago. I have only lost 3 pounds, but I am sure I would be up 7-10 pounds had I not joine d- esp at this time of year. I just joined to lose th elast 10 pounds if possible but more importantly I joined to practice and learn the habit of well rounded balanced eating. To practice it, be accountable and get support. I joined upfront for one year. I'll let you knwo how it goes. But I don;t focus as much on my WLS and my cheats - or extra tool - of fat and malabsorption. from everything I have read here, it always works but at some point you have to do the work more than the tool. SO at almost two years out, I am trying to change and grow.

I think what you really want to know (?) is if you can do this too an dbe successful. I'm guessing that is why you asked the question. Not sure of course but that is what I certainly wondered. The thing you can't really factor in until you FEEL it is the way you and your world changes when you reach a healthier goal. If you work with it, you will have a new life - even if you can't imagine that now
                    Kimberly, 36, Western Canada
                    Dr. Marchesini, Open DS: 12/20/2005
                    surgery weight 277
                    current weight 142
                    highest pregnancy weight 185, gained aprx 25 lbs, lost within first 6 weeks
                    down an average of 120 pounds
                    Healthy baby boy June 2010

my stats at: http://www.epursimuove.com/ds/view_profile.asp?dsID=1059&dsName=Kimberly123

NB:My comments are purely based on my own personal experience & I have no medical training.

Comment

My quantities are significantly reduced and my preferences have changed. Today if I go to McD's for breakfast, it's generally the scrambled egg and sausage platter, where I'll eat the egg and sausage and just a bite or two of the biscuit. Lunch is usually one of those chicken snack wrap things, or a quarter pounder with cheese with only a little of the bun, or maybe a fish sandwich with just part of the bun.

Potatoes bother me now, so the hash browns and fries are not a temptation . I don't get along too great with white bread, either; a couple bites is plenty. Whole grain bread, on the other hand, is fine.

When I go to restaurants, generally an appetizer is sufficient for a meal, or I'll order an entree and box up what I don't eat.

I make a point of ordering things with high protein content. Pasta bothers me, so that has changed a number of my choices.

Comment

My attitude to food has changed - not necessarily what I eat. I can take it or leave it now. Never thought that would happen as I was obsessed before, if I could not have something because I was on yet another diet I would think about it until eventually I gave in and just had it.

Now I think you can have that if you want, now, later whatever it's not an issue and so the pressure is off. I do give in sometimes and have what I class as crap food, choclate, crisps or sweets you know the little devils.

Of course the amounts have changed aswell, I could eat for England before and not really know when I was full. Now I eat and know exactly when to stop thanks to my little tummy alarms!!!

anna xx

Comment

Originally posted by anna f View Post
                          My attitude to food has changed - not necessarily what I eat. I can take it or leave it now. Never thought that would happen as I was obsessed before, if I could not have something because I was on yet another diet I would think about it until eventually I gave in and just had it.

Now I think you can have that if you want, now, later whatever it's not an issue and so the pressure is off. I do give in sometimes and have what I class as crap food, choclate, crisps or sweets you know the little devils.

Of course the amounts have changed aswell, I could eat for England before and not really know when I was full. Now I eat and know exactly when to stop thanks to my little tummy alarms!!!

anna xx
                          Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Comment

Of course newcomers are welcome just a little confused as to why you would response to an old thread instead of posting in the pre-op or chit-chat forums. Are you a post-op DSer or are you researching right now?
                            Janet in Reston
                            DS 2/25/03
                            Dr. Elariny
                            Starting weight 320
                            Current weight 157

Comment

This is the second time this person (under two different user names) has posted the identical thing. On threads in this very same forum.
                              Last edited by DS2000; December 15th, 2009, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X